I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Reel Seats
Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 09:50PM

I've got three rod repairs that have come in, and they all will require removing and replacing the reel seats. I haven't had to do this before now. I would appreciate hearing some suggestions from those with experience in this area.
Two of them have broken seats, and I would like to remove the rear grip and the seat, and replace them both from the back of the rod. The third has had the rear grip snapped off right behind the reel seat, and I want to remove the seat so I can add an extension sleeve, and replace the seat and rear grip, again, from the butt end.
Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Reel Seats
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 10:37PM

Use a Dremel type tool or hack saw and cut them down the side, taking care not to get into the blank, then pry them apart with a flat screw driver and pull them off. I've done several like this.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ben Marsh (---.lns4.syd6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 10:53PM

Drop the end of the rod with the seat into boiling water, about 10 minutes later the seat will slide right off.

Ben

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 11:11PM

I've never had to remove a reel seat and don't want to. The third rod though I'd leave the seat on and use an internal sleeve for the rear grip, I've had to do that a few times.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.128.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 03:01AM

If the rear grips aren't damaged, why do you want to replace them? Cut off the seat, cut the blank, put on a new seat while you splice the blank, and be done with it.

If you must replace the rear grips, strip the blank of the rear grip, install a new grip as normal, and do the above.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 11:19AM

I too use a dremel and helically cut the seat, then peel it off. you have to remove one of the grips and if the guides are ok then it needs to be the rear grip. I have a special ramp I made up to put grips on from the back

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 04:08PM

Cut the rod into at the center of the reel seat, clean off old seat and shims down to the bare blank, shape a plug that will go 3" into butt and forward sections, install shims to fit new seat , glue plug and new seat in place making sure to align the reel seat with the guides. Been using this method since 1988 and it works like a charm. Jesse

Posted by: Fran Park (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 05:20PM

Lots of great ideas here, guys. Thank you all. I believe I can make use of several of these ideas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster