I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative Rod Wrapping
Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 11:49AM

I want to start adding decorative wrapping to my rods, does any one know of a good online source to learn the basics, or the best book out there? Thanks.

Johnny Straus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative Rod Wrapping
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2007 11:58AM

The book I did for Amato, Rod Building Guide, has a complete photo pictorial of the basics of decorative cross wrapping. RodMaker Magazine has had numerous articles on weaving, basic to advanced.

The Clemens book, Decorative Thread Art is good, if you can find a copy.

Billy Vivona has a new decorative wrapping book that works hand in hand with the VisualWrap software.

I think there was something at the "leapinbass" site concerning decorative wrapping at one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2007 12:08PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 12:37PM

Email me John and I'll send you some links and tutorials later when I get home from work

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.158.87.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 01:01PM

John:
Biblo.com e-mailed me that they have a copy of the Clemens Custom Rod Thread Art book for $150.00 Bill has a copy so hurry if you want it.
Lynette Rice

Date: July 19, 2007 01:29PM

150 dollars for the book? do you know of anything else that is a tad be cheaper, i have just graduated college and don't have a ton of money, thanks for the post though Lynette

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 01:49PM

Tom's book is $15, and an excellent choice for all around start to finish building a rod from top to bottom. My book is $40 and deals specifically with start to finish Decorative Wraps for the middle of the blank (lol), and has over 100 patterns. If you're looking to weave, Doc Ski's video's are the way to go, and that also falls into the middle of the rod blank.

Tom's is available pretty much from every supplier. My book is available from @#$%&, Anglers Workshop, Custom Tackle Supply, Donart, Fishsticks4U, Merrick, Mudhole, and if in Australia RodWorks now has copies. Doc's videos are available from many of the same suppliers, I believe, I apologize for not knowing exactly which ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2007 01:54PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (199.76.170.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 01:52PM

the best way is to figure it out...get some dowel rods and try to make a pattern this will teach you the basics and who knows you might stumble onto a new pattern no book has. and really out sode of weaving many patterns can be done only using the basic cross wrap or the chevron whis really good tutorials can be found on Mud-hole in the rodbuilding 101 section. the rest just make it up as you go. Don't matter if its a pre developed pattrn.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 01:55PM

John,

Check your e-mail!! The reason that the Clemens book is so expensive is because it has been out of print for some time. Tom Kirkmans book Rodbuilding Guide is about $15 and the BEST value in rodbuilding!!! Super, comprehensive book covering all aspects of rodbuilding! Billy Vivona's book is, IMO, the best most understandable book on Decorative wraps ever written. If you really get into it you might want to look into Visual Wrap, a great decorative layout/design software program. If you can possibl;y make it to the High Point show in Feb, you will see some of the most amazing stuff you can imagine

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 19, 2007 01:57PM

Mike,
I really appreciate that email. Thanks for posting here, you all are so helpful to a new comer like me. I made my first rod last week and I have th bug.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 02:09PM

It's a good thin you don't have TEH bug, lol.

Date: July 19, 2007 02:34PM

haha, do you mean THE bug, haha

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 07:49AM

NO,Billy means TEH.DO a search for"TEH" here on the forum and you will see what I mean!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 03:46PM

Tom,

They must have taken Leapinbass down. I have it bookmarked and when I tried to go there, it came up that the site had been renamed or closed. Too bad they had some good tutorials on there.

I have to say, The book Rod Building Guide, written by Tom, should be the first book that any newbie should get. It's pretty much required reading. In my opinion.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 03:48PM

Bill,
Try this link..

[www.leapinbass.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster