I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira thread and CP
Posted by: Bryan Noble (---.slsbmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:06PM

Just started building my second rod but it's my first with Madeira thread. Wraps are light gray under and dark gray over, Threadmaster finish and American tackle CP.The problems are bubbles and losing my color. One or two coats of CP and 24 to 48 hours of drying time on the CP before applying finish. This is only my second time using Threadmaster. First time was with black Gudebrod thread and no CP. I was very happy with the results. Mixed the finish with a stick , poured finish on foil , applied and no bubbles. On the Madeira project I used a epoxy mixer and poured finish on foil and no matter what get lots of tiny bubbles. Thanks for any hints or advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira thread and CP
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:12PM

What temperature were you mixing in? Were the bubbles in the mix or did you get them after applying the epoxy to the thread? How did you apply the epoxy, with a brush or spatula?

Date: July 18, 2007 07:21PM

I set the finish outside for about 20 minutes (90 degrees ) Then mixed up a batch and applied with a brush on 3 small areas and with a spatula on one large area . Same results on both applications. It is around 75 degrees in the room I work in. No bubbles in finish until applying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2007 07:22PM by Bryan Noble.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:41PM

The bubbles could be air release from the wraps,although the CP should have taken care of that.Did you try a little heat to raise the bubbles.Not to much or you will make it worse.How far into the set-up is the finish??I found it best to follow the words of Tom Kirkman and let the finish alone to do its job.Since I started doing nothing with it after getting the tunnel full and the sags out I let it go.Walk away.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: July 18, 2007 08:30PM

Heat got some of them out. The rod is for myself and the bubbles are hard to see unless your close to it so i can live with it. The color loss had me wondering though. I brushed the CP on let it set then wick away the extra. Even tried two coats on one of the wraps and still lost spots of color on the light gray.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 09:30PM

I haven't used the American Tackle product so I can't tell you anything from experience, but if there's air bubbles in the epoxy and there were none during the application, I'd question how good the seal was on the CP, two coats or not.

We've had a minimum of bubble problems with TM. Yes, we do get some, and we chase them up before we leave the rod spinning. We never touch it again until it dries for at least 24hrs. We've never used heat on the TM, although we have doen the microwave bit as suggested by Andy.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 09:39PM

I just finished a rod with Madeira thread, and I did not use CP at all. No problems with bubbles or color.

I did notice that the madiera #40 polyneon thread is very small diameter, so you need to wrap twice or the thread will become translucent and the background color will come through which could equal a loss of color. I learned this when I used it as a underwrap. I applied the finish and the thread soak it up and he color (black) blank could reall be seen and the thread was there, but overshadowed with the black background.

Good luck.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 04:37AM

Send Andy Dear a email,
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 08:22AM

I'll throw out an alternative. First, I seriously doubt it was CP or epoxy's fault. My alternative theory is teh CP formed a barrier preventing the epoxy to soak in (no duh), so when you applied the epoxy is sat on top of the threads, making it thicker, thus harder for the bubbles to burst. THEre's lots of bumps and valleys on a wrap which could trap micro bubbles which didn't get released due to teh thickness of the coat of epoxy. This is even more true when using a brush to apply the finish.

Date: July 19, 2007 03:49PM

I'm not blaming the epoxy or the CP. I figured it was something I did wrong . I'm new at wrapping and this was my first attempt with this combination of products. I thought you had to use CP with Madeira because of silicone or something like that. Thanks for the theories and tips . I will do some experimenting before my next project.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 06:36PM

Bryan,

Probably 90% of Madeira wraps have CP applied. I have seen some beautiful Tartan wraps done without CP but, for me at least, the beauty of Madeira is the 330+ colors and if Im doing a multi color wrap, I wan't to keep the colors as close to spool color as I can. Without CP ANY thread will darken considerably and/or become translucent. There have been widespread reports of fisheye problems with sewing threads due to sometime use of silicone treatment to ease use in sewing machines. Other than Tartan wraps where you need the thread to go translucent, I would want CP to maintain the brightness of the colors.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 06:57PM

I still can't get over Tartans with MAdeira. I did a CP test and applied finish to bare Madeira by accident, not only did the epoxy repel on teh untreated MAdeira, I must have got whatever teh contaminant is on my brush and transferred it to other areas of teh test which were fully CP'd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster