I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
beading problems with finish
Posted by: STEVE TOMIYAMA (---.182-60-66.FTTH-SWI.surewest.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 12:04PM

i have been using classic coat lite for years and have recently been having a problem with it beading upon application. at first i thought it might be a contamination problem so i switched syringes, bought new classic lite finish and still had the same problem. then, thinking it might be because of heat, i was storing the finish in the refirigerator until ready to use and then applying it. still the beading persists.

the finish stops beading after letting tit sit for a while and set up (thicken)before applying. What i think the problem is that even though i store it in the refrigerator, once i mix and start applying it (i do it in the garage), it doesn't take long for it heat up to room temperature and that the finish is very temperature sensitive and thins out until it starts to set.

anyone have the same problem. any other thoughts as to what is casuing the beading? any solutions other than changing finishes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: beading problems with finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2007 12:08PM

Something is repelling the finish. It's unlikely to have anything to do with temperature.

I assume you're apply this to your thread wraps and not the blank.

Date: July 18, 2007 12:19PM

the beading occurs on the first coat over the threads and blank and also when i apply the finish coat over the previous finish. at one point i thought the color preserver might have gotten contaminated but ruled that out because of the beading persisting on the finish coat but in different areas.

i completed a rod last night and after applying the finish, i waited about 45 minutes and went back and smoothed it out again. l think because the finish was setting and a little thicker, it didn't bead and adhered to the previous finish. checking it this morning, it was fine.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 01:08PM

It sounds to me like you have some sort of airborne contaminant in the garage, silicon maybe? It's not hard to create such a problem in a garage given the large number of different chemicals, cleaners, waxes, etc, that you find in the typical garage. It is interesting that it smoothes out on its own over time.

You might look around for likely sources of contamination. Read the labels, make sure caps are on tight, no spills, etc. Some not so obvious sources could include sporting gear, automobile finishes and interior cleaners (did you recently detail the car?) and those colorful wrist bands everyone wears for everything these days. Items with a heavy silicon content (i.e. the wrist bands) can give off enough contaminant to cause you real problems in finish work. You will also want to clean up the workspace you use in the garage to remove possible contaminants.

You might want to wipe the rod down good with alcohol before applying finish. Try this on a sample and see if it helps. If it is airborne, it may help a little but you will need to remove the problem to eliminate it.

Joe Douglas

Date: July 18, 2007 01:31PM

Thanks for your input, i'll check around and see if anything is uncapped and do a general housecleaning. the one thing i know it isn't from, is me "detailing" the car! i'd rather mow the lawn than do that!

i also thought i might try a different brand of finish to see if the beading continues to show up. i've been using classic lite for so long i not familiar with all the new ones that are on the market. what i liked about classic light was being able to apply thin coats and that it took longer to darken then flex coat. does anyone have other suggestions?

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 02:10PM

Silicone is more likely to creat fisheyes or pinholes. Beading is something over the entire surface or something unique to that brand of finish. When it thickens as it starts to cure it can hold down better.

I would try a different finish brand. If it does the same thing then it is the surface you are applying it to. If it does not bead, then it was your other finish. Simple enough to find out for sure.

Posted by: russell cook (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 02:26PM

You should give Thread master a try. I just switched from flexcoat recently and wow, it's good stuff.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 03:23PM

I would recommend Threadmaster! IMO, it's the best thing out there and yellowing is NOT a problem. It's clarity is like glass

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 03:52PM

I have never seen finish "bead up". Just for the sake curiosity, could Steve be dealing with bubbles that are bursting as the finish starts to cure ? I have never seen finish "bead up" so don't know what it looks like. Or maybe it needs to be nuked for a few seconds before application. Could it be trying to crystallize like Flex Coat does after sitting on a shelf for a long time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2007 03:53PM by Jay Hunt.

Date: July 18, 2007 04:35PM

Jay,

Thank you for your input. it's not air bubbles, i am very familiar with that. i think nuking the finish would initially make it thinner, therefore more susceptible to beading. what i mean by beading is that after applying and smoothing out the finish, small areas of the finish tend to pull back and not stick. irregular shapes anywhere from 1/32" to 1/8" areas start to show up, but once the finish starts to set, i can go back and smooth it out without them reappearing. the one benefit of nuking the epoxy would be that it would set up quicker, therefore i could re-brush the sooner.

i doubt if it was because of an old batch, because the problem also showed when i tried a new bottle of classic lite.

i am begining to think, as Joe suggested, that there is something new in my enviroment that is setting it off. i have been using the same finish from the same bottle for the last 6 months without a problem and now in the last two weeks it's shown up. go figure!

thanks to everyone for there help and suggestions

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 04:52PM

That figures very well. If it is pulling back and not sticking in spots,definitely contamination. Just thinking out loud.

Posted by: russell cook (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 05:22PM

Sounds like its seperating, some kind of oil contamination, wd-40 comes to mind.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:20PM

Since this is a relatively new problem in what was a relatively stable location, I would still lean toward some sort of airborne contamination. I know from my old automotive refinishing days that a variety of contaminants can cause real problems with finish work. The fisheye problem can manifest in irregular shapes and certainly can cause irregularities larger than 1/8 inch depending on the source and relative strength of the contamination.

If you have used finish from two different bottles and still have the problem, it is likely environment not the finish material itself. Are you doing anything at work that is different the past couple of weeks? Maybe you are bringing something home on your hands or clothes?

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:47PM

What thread are you using??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: July 18, 2007 07:51PM

Joe, i tend to believe you are correct as to some type of contamination being the culprit. the $64.00 answer is going to be what is it. it must be something in the garage that is spoiling the finish. becuse of your comments, i think i am going to do a test batch and see what happens. what i thought i would do after checking the area to see if anything obvious could be the problem, is use new syringes, wipe my brush, stir stick and cup with rubbing alcohol and then mix up a batch and see if the problem persists. that way i can eliminate any contamination on the tools. if it still persists then i have to think it is something airborne. i don't think it is something on my hands because it has happened over a period of days, but just in case when i do the test i will make sure my hands are clean.

i'll let you know what transpires in the next few days.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:53PM

I beleive Russ Cook hit it right on the head...For many years I have advised that WD40 is a great product but a rod builders worst nightmare...you can spray it more than forty feet away on something go back a week later and there is still air borne particles floating around
I wipe any and all things down with de-natured alcohol before applying finish if it is not new and do my WD40 down the block.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:56PM

Steve,don't rule out cologne or after shave.They contain silicone.Also silicne is a bear to get rid of.Not sure if alcohol will do it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: July 18, 2007 07:59PM

Fred Y., i use Gudebrod. but the problem persists not only on the first coat, but also over the blank and second coat of the same finish.

Fred S., thanks for the input, but in this case i can't remenber the last time i used wd40 or other aerosol lubricant not only in my work area or in the garage itself. but it's a good thing tip to remember the next time i pull out a can.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 08:28PM

why don't you try a different location like the house for a test application and see if you still have the ame problems using all the same components? Do you keep your thread in an air tight case so it doesn't get contaminated by airborne contaminates?

Kerry

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 09:38PM

I'm gonna way out on a limb and posit this:

He's storing the stuff in a frig. Then he heats it up before application. What if little bits of the finish coagulates in the cold and then never completely returns to solution when it's thawed? Since he says it's not air bubbles, it might be related to this.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster