I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Expo Vendor
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2007 09:45AM

I typically don't solicit vendors for the ICRBE - the event is large enough and successful enough that they come to me, asking to buy booth space. However, I have seen a sore need for one particular type of vendor over the past 4 years and since none have come calling, I've reached out to them.

At the 5th annual event, this coming February, we'll have a parcel shipper on hand for those of you who travel in from long distances and have no way to get those large or heavy purchases back home. I know from talking to so many of you that you often have to pass on some of the better deals because you can't easily transport long rod blanks, heavy rod lathes or bulk purchases of other items with you on an airplane or even in a small car. As such, we'll have someone on the exhibit hall floor this year, prepared to pack and ship your purchases to your home. With a little luck, it'll be there waiting on you when you arrive.

I don't yet know what their packing fee will be. I suppose that will depend on the amount and size of the parcel. Shipping rates will be standard for most of the pack and ship places that utilize USPS, FedX or UPS. There is a convenience factor here as you'll no longer have to pass on such purchases nor wait until Monday and travel to the local FedX or UPS company locations.

All in all, I think this will add another great element to the event. Buy all you want, carry it to the packing/shipping company, and let them do the rest, all without ever leaving the exhibit hall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Expo Vendor
Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 10:11AM

Wow Tom I am very new to all this only a few months but it amazes me the length that you travel to help anyone and everyone out. Just proves to me that you listen to what people want and need and than you get it done. I cant wait for the show I have never been and my wife and I are both excited just hope it all works out for us so we can attend. Again thanks to you and many other for making this new endeavor of mine one that I enjoy would be totally different if I had to do it alone.
Brent Keever
CajunMarineBBK@aol.com

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 10:29AM

Now that's a great idea!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 10:35AM

Brent, If you're still new to all this then you've quickly caught on to what many of us have also concluded. Tom's event is maybe the only one where everything is set up for the benefit of the people who attend, not the other way around. Attend just one time and whether you're a vendor or a rod builder, you'll see what I mean. Everything is done for you and your enjoyment. I've been to a lot of fishing and sportsmans shows and none go the distance that Tom's event does to see that you have a great time. And all for a measly eight bucks.

The only thing wrong with having someone there to pack and ship your purchases is that now there's even less excuse NOT to buy something. That was the only thing holding me back on some items. I could rationalize that I had no way to get it home so I might as well leave it alone. Now that excuse is out the window!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 11:33AM

Kudos!! Badly needed by many.

When do you sleep?

What is next? Free money from the Bank of America?

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: July 18, 2007 12:14PM

Tom,

This is a very good idea. It will help the vendors tremendously to have this service on the show floor. What could be more convenient for buyers than not having to worry about gettting their items back home? Thanks, Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 02:05PM

It is the continued attention to the little things that keep this event the #1 event for custom rod builders worldwide. Too many shows and show promoters begin to skip over the small details once their events get this large. The fact that you continue to look out for the "little guy" is what keeps this thing growing and gaining so much attention.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.)
Date: July 18, 2007 03:46PM

I think it's all been said before and by people who are pretty damn well respected in this hobby. See [home.earthlink.net]

Honestly, Billy's comments run closest to home for me--- it's just plain FUN!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2007 06:50PM

It's a bit of a double edged sword. I want to provide the best possible experience for everyone involved. I could cut a lot of corners and perhaps put a good deal of money in my pocket, but I put the rod building craft first and spare no expense to offer all that I can for everyone. Still, the more you do for people, the more some of them demand that you do.

Hardly a week goes by that I don't have an exchange with someone who wants to know why they should have to pay a sponsor fee here in order to mention or advertise their product or service. After all, most contend, they're just doing it for the good of the rod builders. Well, I offer this site, the show and the magazine for the good of the rod builders. But I don't get a free ride, I still have to pay and pay big. My printer charges me, my web host charges me, the Showplace charges me, the postal service charges me. About a dozen more companies charge me for all the other things involved in operating these ventures. Not a single one of them gives me a free ride just because I'm providing these things for the craft (and many of them I provide at absolutely no charge or a very low price). But I pay, and I pay big time. Hundreds of thousands of dollars per year against a "profit" that few would bother to lift a finger for.

Okay, that's my mini rant for the month. We will have packing and shipping services available on the show floor this year. And there are a couple other features I'll announce for the event once I lock them in.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:09PM

That will be nice. I just hope they will have enough supplies on hand to accommodate all of us. Now I can relax and spend time with the family and not worry about the shipping. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster