I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wood working question
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 04:25AM

What do you recomend for a hard finish on wood
Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood working question
Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 08:35AM

Several coats of TruOil.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 08:55AM

I've quit using tru-oil, it doesn't seem to hold up the way I expected. I have been using a marine grade varnish and it seems to hold up much longer. I apply the varnish as it turns on the lathe and sand it between coats on the lathe as well. It seems to take 7-10 thin coats, but I think it gives a better finish.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 10:04AM

For outdoor usage, spar varnish is the standard. A relative newcomer, Also, MinWax's ClearShield can be thought of as a modern day formulation of spar, and without the amber color of spar.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 10:34AM

What do you mean by hard? Are you looking for a finish that can handle a lot of abuse? If so, then you're generally talking about somewhat softer finishes like Poly or a Marine Spar Varnish. If you want something that is almost impossible to remove then use Milk Paint, followed by BLO (rub that in a few coats), and then top coat if you wish. If you want a hard, film finish that can be buffed out to a high gloss then use shellac or lacquer. If you spray and have the necessary equipment then a cat lacquer or other two part finish will work well (typically used on kitchen cabinets).

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: July 13, 2007 10:53AM

Use the same finish you use on your wraps.. epoxy !~

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 11:42AM

Thanks for the info. I well becoating wooden reelseats
Good wraps Bob

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 13, 2007 01:26PM

CA?

Date: July 13, 2007 01:49PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CA?

Absolutely. Pour the stuff on and form to the hand! No more losing the rod in the drink when surprised by a hard hit and trying to juggle a beer. :-)
CA is used to glue in hidden areas, but it's not what you'd use for a nice clear finish on wood. Would be a darned expensive finish is you tried tho.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 13, 2007 01:57PM

Dave, I was not joking.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.turnwood.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 02:08PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 02:48PM

Yep, CA will work; it's used a lot by pen turners as a finish. The problem with making wooden pens is that a persons hand tends to wear the finish off quite quickly or the shine quickly wears off. Various finishes have been tried and CA has become one of the prefered finishes as it lasts well and can be finished on the lathe in a fairly short period of time. Just don't go for a high build. A good varnish (i.e. Behlen's Rock Hard table top varnish ) or Marine Spar Varnish (McCloskey's) will work very well too (the marine spar is slightly softer, UV resistant, and doesn't crack but won't buff out to as high a gloss) but you're talking many hours between coats and you'll need to let the finish cure for a few weeks before buffing. One test you should do is try these various finishes on a blank and see how the perform for you. Making a couple of pens is a usefull way to try them out and then see how they perform. Personally I like to use shellac or lacquer and then just repair the finish when I need to.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: July 13, 2007 02:53PM

I concur with Chuck and Steve. If you are turning standard, round reel seats, use the CA finish with boiled linseed oil (BLO) as a curing agent.
The seats I have finished this way are absolutely impervious to water/weather. You want to use the medium viscosity, gap-filling CA glue, and you can purchase large bottles of it at most hobby stores (model airplanes, etc.).

Pen turners use this method extensively, and there is a lot of good information available on the various websites.

The basic method I use is this:

1. Sand the wood down to about 600 grit
2. While the lathe is turning at moderate speed, apply a puddle of gap-filling CA glue to a folded paper towel and apply it in a sweeping motion to the
entire seat.
3. Immediately follow this application with at application of BLO applied in the same way.
This time, however, continue to rub the towel back and forth with some pressure until you can smell the CA glue begin to cure.
4. Wipe with a clean section of folded paper towel until the CA glue is entirely cured.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 two more times.
6. Sand the seat down to 2000 grit and when completely smooth, finish with the back (paper side) of the sandpaper.
You should build up some heat using the paper side and this will create a high gloss finish.

The finish will look like the wood is encapsulated in a thin layer of resin, but it is extremely durable.

Hope this helps,

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 02:55PM by Walt Natzke.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 03:33PM

I have used the CA and it gives a nice finish, but the dust and fumes are hard on my eyes. That's one down side, I don't know that CA is impervious to UV, it does leave a nice finish though.

Date: July 13, 2007 03:50PM

Wow,,, learned something new there. Now I ain't going to actually do it, but it is interesting. I'll stick to what's made for outdoor usage I think.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 13, 2007 05:08PM

CA is awesome, darn near indestructable and can be buffes/rebuffed to a glass like finish if desired. As mentioned, on larger pieces, fumes can be strong

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 13, 2007 05:24PM

I am from Washington State, where can I purchase CA?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 13, 2007 05:26PM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
> I am from Washington State, where can I purchase
> CA?
> Good Wraps Bob

They must have Super Glue in WA

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 13, 2007 05:42PM

Bob,

It's Super Glue Buy it at any good model/hobby shop or any woodworking store like Woodcraft, Penn State, Craftsupplies USA

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 13, 2007 05:52PM

Dave and Mike thank you . Any special brand and are we talking about the 5 minute epoxy glue?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 05:53PM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
> I am from Washington State, where can I purchase
> CA?
> Good Wraps Bob

Bob
Just type CA Glue into a search engine and have at er'
There are plenty of online possibilities & a lot of info on use.
Just remember to buy the "thick or high build" mixture it fills the little voids better.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster