I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank/Guide advice
Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:51PM

I do most of my fishing in the ocean off of a kayak. I want to build a Jig stick specifically for kayak fishing and am not sure where to start. I usually use a 7' boat rod because 8' on a kayak is too much for me. I am thinking that 7'6" would be ideal. The jigs I like best are TADY 45s (4.5 oz) and Salis 6Xs (7 oz).

Has anyone built a rod for this application or do you have any suggestions for a blank and guides to use? I was entertaining the thought of a Rainshadow SWB76XH. Also, would this be a good candidate for a spiral wrap?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank/Guide advice
Posted by: Tho Saykosy (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 02:20PM

I'm building a boat rod with that exact Rainshadow blank that you mentioned. For jigging, I wouldn't recommend it, it's a heavy blank. Other than that, it's a very solid rod for a boat rod.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 06:17PM

what kind of fish will you be going after? if grouper youll want a really stiff rod around 6ft

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 11:26PM

Thank you Tho and Jon. In San Diego, The holy grail of local fish for kayakers are yellowtail and White Sea Bass. Of course we have some nice flatties also.

I am thinking that I framed my question wrongly. I got no response after a week from a kayak fishing board.

Since I am no longer looking ar rods as a blind consumer "hey mister...can you sell me a jig stick?", but rather as a builder with a purpose in mind, I am wondering about the properties that would distinguish a jig stick from another rod. Until recently I only thought in terms of line weight and rod length. As a result I built a pretty sweet rod out of $150 worth of parts that I will rarely use because I didn't know enough to know what I was looking for.

Now I am back in the same boat.

In selecting a blank for throwing iron I don't know if it is better to have a fast, mid, or heavy action blank. The nature of kayak fishing has determined that I wamt it to be 7'6" but I guess I am looking for guidance in what to think about and how to think about it while selecting a blank. What makes them jigs fly besides length of the rod, and what are the tradeoffs in fighting the fish and casting accuracy?

Thank you all.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 06:28PM

You might try asking [www.kzreelrods.com] . Slightly different fish up in NorCal, but the guy personally does the kayak thing too.

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: July 13, 2007 12:08PM

Thank You Dave,

I kicked him an email. Hope it is well recieved. Also I found a good article on-line by Al Goldberg which talks about jig sticks and blank selection.

[www.stripersonline.com]
(just in case any future searches are looking for this info.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster