I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wholesale vs. retail
Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2007 08:03AM

Mark, Tom, Matt, Russ, et al. :

Somehow this thread got completely turned around, but has still been a bit of a learning experience.
Momma taught me to "never look a gift horse in the eye" - I guess that has a little to do with this site and all the info it provides, if it were not for this site and a couple others I would no doubt never have gained enough information to ever build a rod at all. And definitely would never have know about all the products that are available.

I think in all business you get the people that truly try to "cheat the system" which is not my intention, I just wanted to know if I could save a few bucks. I've had people spend a week negotiating costs with me on the services I provide, then when we come to agreement - they never follow through. urgghhhh... I would probably be a rich man if I had all those hours back.

I suppose I will continue on the track that I have already been on, it seems that in the amount of time it would take to save a few bucks - I would have been MUCH better off just spending that time on my own work and making money.

Mark - I am looking forward to checking the mailbox today for the Alps parts I ordered. I want to get going on that project this weekend. BTW: It's hard to beat a company that has a guy give yoyu advice on a Forum, you go make an order at his site, ask them to tweak the order a little, and the place emails you to let you know each little status change. Very impressed with the Service at your place so far, and I on't be negotatiating any time soon.... I get a 10 rod order though and we will talk :-)

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PAUL FANNON (116.90.53.---)
Date: July 12, 2007 09:51AM

REALY GOOD THREAD GUYS.

It seems USA has the same sort of complex tax situation that AUS faces.

I have read every post with interest and agree with all of the comments made.

The bottom line I think is, if you are a genuine business, of any type then you are entitled to apply for wholesale pricing.

If you are not fully committed to an industry, then why should you be supported.

This may sound harsh, but there is a big difference between earning a living from rod building and making a few spare dollars for pocket money.

I hope I do not offend but this is my business.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2007 09:52AM

Steve,

I hope I didn't infer you were personally trying to cheat the system. But with 7000 registered users here, when we respond we know there are going to be hundreds of others reading the posts as well as the one who started the topic. So we end up answering more than just the original person.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 02:04PM

Most rod builders are notoriously cheap and want something for nothing. I'll turn you in to the IRS in a heart beat for selling without a license. If I have to play by the rules then so do you. Jesse

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2007 02:13PM

Geez Jesse... did someone .... in your cheerios this morning?

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2007 02:21PM by Moderator.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 07:39PM

ahh ok i dont have a prob with buying at retail but sometimes someone asks if ill build them a rod cause they see mine...i figured you might have had to sell a certain amount before you had to do the taxes and such

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster