I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Club
Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 10:33AM

Im wanting to form a Rod Builder Club just NorthEast of the Metro Area in St Paul, MPLS Minnesota.

We are looking to get at least 8-10 builders to meet once a month on a rotating plan moving from one shop to the next. The luncheons would be free provided by the host, or take up a collection and go out.

Right now,, there are 3 of us with a serious interest, more would be greatt. Its not an event, howvever, if we reached a point we needed furter expertise in, We would prabably call, beg, pay to have one of the more experienced members who specialize in certain building methods to observe some of the groups methods and offer pointers on how things might be done differently.. The meeting would be wide open for both begginers all the way to more seasoned experts in their own fields

I will gladley host the first meeting at my shop, with the promise of burgers on the grill in between to get our minds refocused.

Anyway, send you notes of interest to rodsbyvern@mywdo or you can call me (Im in the book) Or if you are driving through Taylors Falls, MN, stop and look me up.

Anxious to get the ball rolling with this so we can set up the informational plan .

Thanks

Vern Metcalf Jr
SureSet Custom Rods
Email rodsbyvern@mywdo.com
Phone: willl send to you via email

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 01:16PM by Vern Metcalf Jr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Club
Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 11:55AM

A bit far for me to travel but I wish you luck with the local club. Sure to be a helpful thing.

I wanted to make a comment on the term "legend." Where custom rod building is concerned I find it a bit pretentious at the very least. Who determines who is and who isn't a legend in custom rod building? What makes one a legend and another not? I doubt you can answer that because it is a subjective matter entirely and only used with great bias.

If you need help with rod building questions or issues, you will not find a better place to ask than right here on this very site. The answers will come from a wide variety of qualified rod builders. They may or may not be legends according to some, but they will offer you expert advice without requiring that you kowtow to any sort of legend status on their behalf.

Date: July 11, 2007 01:41PM

Thankyou Richard, your reponse was exactly correct. Who determines who is a "Legend". I like the word more seasoned or more experienced and throw in a more poplular as well.......Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Fixed the post for all who may have been offended by it. After grabbing the old Funk and Wagnals, one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable. , a popular myth of recent origin. An inscription or title of an object. Obviously no hard fact describing who or what establishes or inspires a legend.mmmmmmmm yep, your right makes it extremily difficult to be or become one minus any testing to prove such. Very interesting subject. I guess its like alot of things in life ie: Im a legendary beer bottle opener.........I tested my self and yep I sure am.....lol
Thanks for bringing that to light

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 06:05PM

Vern...I hope your venture is a success. A few years ago I got interested in doing this through some coaxing, and managed to get 15 builders of various skill levels in my shop for a day of rodbuilding "shop talk"...food, desserts, and beverages. Though very nervous about the whole thing, it ended up being a great day for those that attended, I met alot of "new" freinds and I met alot of people that share a common interest. The gathering was free of charge..."Just bring some food, beverage,dessert, or just yourself" . I think it was one of the second or third NERBS gatherings (formally known as NERDS..but there was a "coup" over that name, LOL)

Remember three is better than none, 15 is better than twenty, depending on shop size... try to utilize some other local fishing web sites for recruiting, check the directory above, and if your a member of a larger club, utilize their listing as well.

Long story short...I took the risk once and complete strangers showed up (never met face to face side from a couple local builder freinds) I met Billy Vivona for the first time face to face back when he had hair past his shoulders and a goatee he could wrap around his neck!!! Seane Endres showed with two cheesecakes that i still dream about, and an un packable crosswrap.....wheres John Dow???

I committed to doing another gathering in October and already people are coming from NJ, NY, RI, CT, MA, NH, and ME (maybe even further..lol) for burgers, beverages, desserts, and rodbuilding "shop talk". I'm sure one of the big things we'll talk about will be the ultimate rodbuilding gathering that happens in High Point, NC in Feb 2008.

Anytime builders get together...its fun!

(You may be a legendary bottle opener...but pound for pound....self proclaimed KING of can openning!)

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 06:45PM

Oh I think there are legends in any sport, business or hobby. The thing is, if someone is truly a legend, you don't have to bestow that title on them. People will know who they are and hold them in that esteem without anyone having to tell them that the person is indeed a legend. I can think of maybe two or three true legends in custom rod building. I think of them that way because they are likely to be very well known and respected by most rod builders from all walks of life. Names that are very familiar to everybody. If somebody has to tell me that they're a legend or that someone else is a legend, they're not. Your opinion may differ.

Good luck on the club. Too far for me but it sure would give you guys some fun times during the cold, cold winter months. Would it not? Pick a new rod building trick or method each meeting and have someone demo it. Almost any group of even a dozen people could get somebody to present something once a month. Get them to bring any new rods they've completed. All rod builders that I know like to look at other custom rods. Not to criticize it but just to see what others are doing.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 08:55PM

Vern, best of luck putting this together. IN addition to MJ's MAss NERBs gatherings, there have been NERBs gathering s in Staten Island, NY, Glen COve Long Island, NY, Western Middle of Forest, NJ, Barnegat, NJ, and even one in CHicago last year. I half-butt tried to put one together in San Diego as well as in CHicago again this year.

Here is what the problem is - people do not want to sacrifice the time or energy to make it happen. Build it and they will come though, adn even if the number is a lot lower than you had hoped for, those involved will have a great time and you'll be able to count on them for future get togethers.

Legends - what difference does it really make?

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 09:40PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:

>
>
> Legends - what difference does it really make?
>
> NERBS - North East Rod Builders

Ted Williams(baseball) = Doc Ski (rodbuilding)

Posted by: Tom Walters (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 12, 2007 12:33AM

Are the guys from the other side of the river welcome, or do we have to put on our Viking stuff to be welcomed to your side of the stream?

Date: July 12, 2007 08:25AM

OH I suppose, but they have to bring the cheese and beer. They absolutley cannot bring Favre.., so get your little row boat ready to cross the river. Ill publish notification of time, etc.

Im trying hard to get that weave using 70 threads, 40 would have been better, but hey its the only way to learn.

Concrete head.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: July 12, 2007 10:09AM

Ok, how about a Bear fan who lives in northern Wisconsin? I know it's an odd combo, but hey I gotta be me. I live about 3 1/2 hrs from Taylors Falls (live in Minocqua area) - and while I doubt I could attend a monthly get together, I sure would be interested in coming to a gathering if my schedule allowed for it! I'd even bring Leinie's beer, Racine kringle, and brats - Wisconsin would be well represented :-)

Date: July 16, 2007 08:24AM

Rich,
Your most welcome to come join the fun. I cant gaurantee it being worth that long of a drive, but you are more than welcome.. Ok, whats Racine Kringle????Sounds like a dried out cheese curd. Ill post times and dates as soon as I can get this all coordinated. Feel free to email me with any idea's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster