I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RainShadow blank suggestions
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 08:11PM

Have a customer that wants me to build him a Bass Casting and a Bass Spinning rod.
He wants them both to be 6 1/2 ft long. He 5' 9" tall and a 7 footer is a bit long for him casting off the front deck. He is presently using a 7' G Loomis and hits the water or the boat with his bait sometime. He is a small tournament bass fisherman.
He is very interested in the RainShadow blanks.
The Casting rod will be used for buzz baits, spinner baits and large Zara Spook.
The Spinning rod will be for small crank baits.
Anyone got any personal preferences for these 2 blanks ? Moderately priced.
Will appreciate all the info I can get.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RainShadow blank suggestions
Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:22PM

Jay,
I put together a nice light baitcasting rod with a Rainshadow ISB781 blank, 6'6", fast action, ML, rated for 1/8-3/8 oz lure weight. It's actually a spinning blank, and I think it would work great for your spinning rod. Also just made a crankbait rod with a Rainshadow CB66MH blank, 6'6", moderate-fast action, medium-heavy, rated for 3/8-1 oz lures, for 10-20lb line. Casts like a rocket. Both are great blanks. Contact Fishsticks4U. Those guys are the best.
Good luck,
Tom White

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:36PM

Like Tom suggested, I too love the CB line of Bastons, VERY nice stuff and super reasonable.

On the Casting rod, I believe I'd make him a EBT784 CTS. I have built several of these and they are GREAT blanks. My choice in Baston is the ISB783. If he's throwing large spooks and spinnerbaits he needs at least the 3 power imo. If he's throwing lighter stuff the 2 power is what I'd build in the Baston. Really depends on the weights he'll be throwing?

DR

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 11:20PM

I built a CB66M for throwing floating Raps & Jr. Challenger minnows. It does great with 8# Fireline and small baits. I find myself wanting the medium heavy at times so I guess it depends on what your friend's definition of a small crankbait is. The way I cast, I find the 66M limited to more like 1/2 oz - but that's me.

DR - that's good to hear on the ISB783. I have two of the old OG blanks and I have a reel that needs a home.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 11:46PM

Tom Where are you located and are ypu or did you live in Washington State?
Good Wraps Bob. I would have emailed you directly , but your email is hidden

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 10:15AM

Jay;
If you can steer him in the Direction of the RX8+ blanks he and you will be a lot happier. They are an awesome blank. Here are the the specs and Batsons suggested use for each blank

RX8+ Model #
Length
Power
Action
Pcs
Line Wt
Lure Wt
Blank Wt.
Color
Butt
Tip
Application

RX8+S822.5
6'10"
Medium
X-Fast
6-12
1/8-1/2oz
1.76oz.
Satin Black
Drop Shot

RX8+S823
6'10"
Medium
X-Fast
8-14
3/16-5/8oz.
1.74oz.
Satin Black
Topwater / Finesse Spin

RX8+C742
6'2"
Medium
Fast
8-14
1/4-5/8oz.
1.36oz.
Satin Black
Jerk Bait / Close Quarter's Spinner Bait

RX8+C812
6'9"
Medium
Fast
8-14
1/4-5/8oz.
1.85oz.
Satin Black
Senko Special

RX8+C783
6'6"
Medium Hvy
Fast
10-17
1/4-3/4oz
2.13oz.
Satin Black
Worm / Jig

RX8+C843
7'0"
Medium Hvy
Fast
10-17
1/4-3/4oz
2.46oz.
Satin Black
Carolina Rig

RX8+C865
7'2"
Hvy
Fast
12-25
3/8-1 1/4oz
2.52oz.
Satin Black
Jig / Slop / Frog

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 03:58PM

Thanks a bunch guys. I will look at the RX8 also. This is a big help.
Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster