I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to stabilize some bark
Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.173.144.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 11:38PM

How or what would you guys use to stabilize say some bark. I have bark from the Punk Tree "Melaleuca quinquenervia". It was brought over here to Florida from Austria in 1800's and is considered an invasive species. It is plentiful in my area it has a very thick paper thin bark that is layered in paper thin like 20-30 sheets and sheds in thick pieces. I can see a very good possibility with it and it has a nice yellow grey good looking grain but is very spongy and unstable when it's dry it will crumble into dust.

I have been experimenting with soaking it in epoxy, varnish, tite bond & CA(krazy glue). I haven't really found the rite way yet. It looks really great off the tree but very unstable there's got to be a way. I need some of your wisdom. this could be a wonderful material if I can get it to work. There's got to be a way

Oh by the way I am getting some white birch in the next few days from a friend from N.J. where I grew up. I read a LOT on doing birch. It seems the beast way is tite bond layered, stacked and clamped. This didn't work well with the Punk Bark. But I haven't done any Birch either. So I will take all advise.

Remember your advise not only helps me but many others as well.

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2007 12:04AM by Bruce Egolf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to stabilize some bark
Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 03:08PM

you should probably look around supply places for wood turning. Many people turning wood season ad stabilie the wood themselves. For instance, [www.woodcraft.com] is one product. I've been away from wood for awhile, but I'm sure there are lots of sites and alternatives.

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 09:38PM

Superglue works well to harden porous surfaces, but does not go very far. Just an idea for somebody willing to experiment, but you could try thinning epoxy with acetone (there have been previous posts about proportioning this mix on the Board), the solvent might help penetrate the natural oils in the bark, and soak the bark well with the mixture. Any solvent that fails to evaporate will weaken the finished polymer, but in this application you do not need a tremendous amount of strength and it might be ok anyway. What you do need is a very, very thin adhesive that penetrates well. Some of the modeling cements might be worth a try as well. All I can say for sure is it could be a fun experiment!

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.173.244.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 11:24PM

Thanks for the ideas. The experiments I have performed so far(which take a long time and cost a lot I got a whole cabinet full of try this).

Any way that's experimenting. My problem seems to be like you said Adam penetration. I haven't found the rite combination yet. I can't get penetration the bark width is like tissue thick layered doesn't soak up the material I put on it.

I'll keep trying I think this bark is very unique like nothing I've seen and have good possibilities. It has a very nice color to it and grain if I could get it stable and retain the color. as it is raw it would just crumble to dust.

I'll take all ideas and any suggestions. Hopefully later I will get it and post some photos I'm not giving up that easily. I think this stuff could be something useful extremely light, plentiful and looks good. And it's legal to get in fact encouraged it's considered and invasive species.

Thanks for your help

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 02:16PM

Another thought: try cutting your bark into the smallest possible strip from which you can still cut your rings and soaking them in a highly diluted solution of one of the cements that dry rather than cure along with, I still think, acetone. That way you might get a long enough soak time for the adhesive to penetrate between the bark layers. If you can carefully cut rings or squares (without the bark falling apart) before going into the soak it might even work better. Make sure you keep the acetone outside-- and also out of the hot sun or it will evaporate while you watch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster