I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bearings (the steel ball) for mixers?
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 05, 2007 09:57PM

O.K., I am ready to start mixing epoxy with a mixer but I got one question. Where did you guys get your ball bearing from? Though I had access to some but just too small. They were 3/16" - 1/4" diameter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 09:57PM by Jim Rippe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bearings (the steel ball) for mixers?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2007 10:08PM

Electric motor shops sometimes will have damaged ball bearings that they'll give you. Some are quite large.

Mcmaster/Carr sells them individually, I think. One guy I know got a handful of nice ones and I seem to recall that's where he said he got them.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2007 10:16PM

Do yourself a favor and use a section of steel rod. The bearings don't scrape the sides/bottom nearly as well. You need about a 3/4" long section of 5/8" diameter rod.

Posted by: edward torres (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: July 05, 2007 11:00PM

Bohls Bearing usually carry all sizes. 5/8 works for me Jim. 3/4 is too large for cups. Be glad to send you a couple.

Rod, Reels and 18 wheels.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2007 11:03PM

Jim,The transfer case of a Ford Explorer uses 3 for detent purposes.I have some if you need them.I`ll measure them when I get to work on Monday but they are at least 3/8 inch.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: July 05, 2007 11:19PM

Edward and Fred, I will try to locate some by Monday and if I still have a problem I'll email you guys.

Thanks a bunch.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2007 11:39PM

Jim, I have a couple extra that I would be happy to send to ya. They are 1/2" approx. I have been using them for a couple years now and they give you perfect results nearly everytime. Just let me know where to send them and I'll drop them in the mail tomorrow.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2007 11:41PM

Jim, my email address is jeff@friendlycustomrods.com

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 12:20AM

Stainless ones on @#$%& all the time. Friend of mine gets them for welded art scuptures from time to time.
Any old bearings? Check some auto and especially motorcycle repair shops.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 12:43PM

wal-mart has some you shoot with a sling shot...they are pretty cheap and you get like 30 lol they are in the sporting goods

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 01:00PM

Ace hardware sells the ball bearings individually, in all sizes. Walmart has the stainless steel cups, smooth bottom, comes in 5 per package all for about $2.00. Galen Briese

Date: July 06, 2007 06:57PM

Thanks guys. I think I should have my hands on some Saturday.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:53PM

A ball bearing will work fine - it's not necessary for it to get down into the corner of the cup.

You do need one large enough so that it doesn't rotate with the mix, however. Size it just as the article instructs and you'll get perfect batches every time.

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 08:50PM

The ones that Wal-Mart sells for slingshots have a flat spot and this can cause problems when mixing. I have a package and they really do not work very well.
Stay with the ball bearings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster