I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson SF TiCH guides for UL spinning?
Posted by: Ben Marsh (140.168.69.---)
Date: July 05, 2007 01:13AM

I am wanting to build up a SP600 for the lightest setup I can build, to cast the lightest of weights to fish holding deep into overhanging cover from my kayak. Looking through the Batson catalogue I saw that they have PVD TiCH coated single foot fly guides. How will they hold up to 1lb fireline being used over them?

Would probably use BMLG16, BMLG16, XTCSFGP1 x3 then TCFT4 tip.

Any thoughts?

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson SF TiCH guides for UL spinning?
Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: July 05, 2007 07:35AM

The ceramics will hold up just fine. The high frame match guides coule be a little prone to bending if the rod gets knocked around (2nd one whould be a 10 maybe?). The wire guides are the newer TiCH plated single foot guides without the chrome. I suspect with 1 lb Fireline you will not be running enough drag pressure to put enough tension to groove them. TiCH on 316 stainless would be quite hard. I take it you are trying to keep it as light as possible, hence the wire tip guides and tip top. If you are concerned with abrasion and possible grooving, then full ceramics would be better, but heavier.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: July 05, 2007 05:41PM

Ben, I use the VS single foot guides, in the zirconium, they are excellent, and if I am not mistaken a file will not scuff them. So they make a good fireline setup. The VS zirconium are my go to guides as they come in tich/ blue ring, tich/ gold ring/, tich /shiney grey ring, black frame/gold ring, and tich/ chamelion ring. Just a whole lot of selections for colors and extremely tough. I use 16, 10, 8 high frame , 7 fly and then 6 fly to 6 tip, these are all zirconium ring, If I want to go cheaper, I use alconites also a good ring, and cheaper, but only two colors, black / black ring and chrome and black ring. The weight of the different guides is basically not an issue. I doubt that there is more than a dozen grams difference in weight when completed. just my 2 cents. Galen

Posted by: Ben Marsh (140.168.69.---)
Date: July 05, 2007 09:51PM

Hi thanks guys, yes, the second guide would be a 10 not 16 as I put above. Galen, you mention a dozen grams in weight difference, that would be a substantial weight difference when the blank itself weighs in at only 15 grams. I'll go with the wire TiCH guides, worse case scenario I strip the rod down in a few months! Will probably use the VS rather than Match, or even Fuji Cermets for the 16 and 10.

Ben

Date: July 06, 2007 02:06AM

Mate, 15 grams is just over 1/2 oz. Batson list the SP 600 at 0.8 oz, which is 22.4 grams. It's not the blank weight, just the recovery, but it seems you are also looking at overall weight. Remember you haven't even considered the weight of the grip yet too. Seriously, the fly ceramics will not hurt the rod very much at all. Depending on the reel you will be using, to get the same height at the Match 16, you may have to go a VS 20. In which case 20, 12, 8, then fly 6's out to the tip sounds probable.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 02:35AM

Anyone know which is lighter - VS or Alconites?

Mo

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 02:44AM

Ben,

I build many spinning rod (10'-13')on fly blanks (W4,W5,W6.W8.W9)using BMLG16,BMLG12, BMLG10 ,BMLG08, BMLG07. BMLG06,BMLG05,MBLG04, BMLT04.0 and i was catching many fish(the bigest over 40lb. ) fishing with FIRELINE 4lb..
Use this type of guides (model "M") because work very good for your rod.

Try to call Bill Batson and ask for model "M'guides with PVD TiN GOLD COATED ZIRCONIUM RING(you can't find this guides in catalog ,but i receive as a gift from Bill one swich blank 10' and this type of guides and the rod what i build on this blank is beautiful and very light).

Jean

Date: July 06, 2007 02:49AM

That's great to hear Jean. Mo, the Alconites are slightly lighter.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:48AM

Ben, my mistake, I meant to say less than .12 percent per guide on the large guides, 25, 16, 10, as compared to the alconites, when weighed on my scale.! I weighed some of my ultra lite rods last night, most of them have the VS guides, and are between 5'9" and 6' and they average about 5 ounces when complete. The 6'6" 2 weight fly rod built into a spinning blank with alconites weighs 4.8 ounces. I also have a few with wood handles, and they are all less than 6 ounces. Just to put this in perspective, all my finished rods have stabilized wood reel seats and butt wraps about 4" long, feather inlay and the decal all covered with LS Supreme finish. So in defense of the Forecast guides I hope this sheds a little lite on the subject. Galen. A footnote, I have a gram scale I got from harbor freight for 10.00 and it will weight up to 1 pound. I checked it against the postal meter at work and it is very close, in comparison. The scale will weigh in ounces or in grams. It is the size of a small transitor radio.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 12:43PM

Thanks Ted.

Mo

Posted by: Ben Marsh (---.lns4.syd6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 08:10PM

Ted Morgan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mate, 15 grams is just over 1/2 oz. Batson list
> the SP 600 at 0.8 oz, which is 22.4 grams.

Ted, I am looking at the '08 catalogue that lists the SP600 (RX6) at 0.51oz, and the IS600 (RX7) as 0.59oz. Is this incorrect?

I intend to use a Pinnacle Tiny20 UL (5.6oz) on cork hoods so grip weight will be only a few grams. (Unless someone can suggest a lighter still reel? Daiwa Sweepfire 1000 is 6oz...)

Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster