I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on stripper guides on fly rods
Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: July 04, 2007 11:16AM

I have a customer who brought me a 9' custom rod built by his brother who passed away. it is a Loomis blank way past any warranty period. It broke where the first stripping guide closest to the butt grip was. This was exactly where I had to install the ferrule. I wrapped the female ferrule half way up to match the male end length.

Problem: the next stripping guide is 40" from the butt wrap. I already coated the ferrule. If I place the stripping guide an inch toward the butt, It would be covering the inscription, if it is above the ferrule, its almost to close to the next stripping guide and about 2 or 3 inches forward of the ferrule out of the customers most comfortable reach. I need to do an over wrap of diamond wraps on the ferrule to match the wrap forward of the ferrule.

Where should I place it? If I dont put another stripping guide on at all it will cause alot of problems with line spilage between the customers reach and the next stripping guide.

Thanks in advance.

Vern

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on stripper guides on fly rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2007 11:49AM

I'm a little confused - fly rods have just one stripping guide - the guide closest to the grip is the stripper. All the rest are running guides.

Why did you install a ferrule? Are you making this into a 4-piece rod? Or are you talking about a sleeve or plug repair?

I would probably put the stripping guide where it needs to do and make everything else work around that. You can apply another inscription if need be and that won't change how the rod funtions. But if the stripping guide is much too close or much too far, that will affect its use.

Date: July 04, 2007 12:11PM

Tom, first, thank you very much for the response. I know my description is confusing. Let me try again.

1. I usually call the first two ceramic guides closest to the butt strippiing guides, so that is confusing. But it is the first guide closest to the grip.

2. I had to install a ferrule (chrome) as the rod was broken in half and both ends were shredded and shortened the rod by about 4 inches when I got a clean cut . Im sure there migt have been a better way.

3. The inscription is hand written in his brothers hand the end of the male end of the ferrule is about an 1/8 of an inch forward of that inscription.

4. There is an original underwrap with diamond overwrap which is about 1/16 of an inch forward of the end of the female end.

I think its probably to late to right any wrong I already did. Am I to the point I have to tell the customer to just hang it on the wall. I already told him my repair may affect the feel of the rod.

Does this make any more sense??

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2007 12:23PM

Yes, I understand now.

You could actually wrap the stripping guide right onto the ferrule with no ill-effects. The female ferrule, of course. Would that put it back about where it needs to be?

It was quite common on older rods with metal ferrules for them to be wrapped for cosmetic purposes. Putting a guide and thread on there won't hurt it a bit.

Date: July 04, 2007 12:30PM

Bingo, I didnt know if I could do that or not, I mean wrap a guide on a ferrule itself. . (Sometimes I need a good slap in the head with a 2x6 to get my attention)

Thanks, Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 01:24PM by Vern Metcalf Jr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster