I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

recoil vs regular snake guides?
Posted by: Kip Robinson (---.hlna.qwest.net)
Date: June 16, 2007 09:51AM

Hello again,
Not long ago I recounted a tale of woe regarding a broken rod that I may have wrapped too tight versus High sticking by the user. I have come to believe it was probably a combination of the two that caused the failure. At any rate , the parts are here to make the new tip.

I have decided to use heavy wire recoils instead of standard snake guides. I think the recoils flexibility may create less of a fulcrum and protect the blank a little more. I notice the feet are quite a bit longer on the recoils meaning longer wraps(more weight). I am tempted to grind them back but wonder if the longer length is needed to keep from pulling the flexible guide out of the wrap?

Do you guys think the flexible guides provide any advantage in saving a rod that just might be a victim of "high sticking"?

Thanks ... Kip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recoil vs regular snake guides?
Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2007 12:21PM

The type of guides used on the tip section of a fly rod does not have any effect on damage caused by highsticking. The damage is caused by the person fighting the fish on the tip instead of the butt section of the rod. The tip section is made for casting not to "horse" the fish with. Just by using the butt of the rod you can land some very large fish on what is considered ultra light tackle.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 16, 2007 11:21PM

I have recoils on all my new flyrods and I think they are 1000% better than snake guides. I am pretty hard on equipment and they take all I dish out. I would not cut the feet back very far. I think they need a good base to be able to flex without doing some odd angles and stuff. If you did cut them back a little, I doubt if it would make much difference in being able to pull one out. They stick pretty well to the blank. I used them on a 2 wt, 3wt, and four 4wts. and no complaints at all. Everyone loved them. I also did not cut down the feet.

Posted by: Kip Robinson (---.hlna.qwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2007 09:01AM

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.
I did use Recoil Snakes on the tip section replacement. Left the feet alone as far as length. I I just can't help thinking that a more flexible guide will put less stress on the blank at full flex. My intent was to use them on lighter fly rods, but I really don't like making longer wraps on light rods. Basically just trying them on for size. Thanks again..Kip

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: June 18, 2007 06:17AM

I use them on my saltwater rods and like them very much. The only concern I have is that they might cause some brands of fly lines to peel off the coating. This has happened to me with my Airflo Depth Charge line. I think it's more a fault of the line than the guides. Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster