I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rubberized butt caps
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 08:00PM

I have a rubberized butt cap with a 1/4 inch hole in the center that came with a plug. How do you guys put them on.? I know this is a stupid question but I have thought of several ways. I can use the 1/4 inch hole as a centering hole, bore and recess the inside of the cap a little to the outside size of blank, glue the cap on to the blank then put the plug in. Seems like alot of work but I guess I'm up for it. Just need some help on how to do this.
Thanks Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubberized butt caps
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 09:33PM

Two choices with these:

You can epoxy to the rear grip, then elarge the 1/4" hole to slide it on the rod. The rubberized butt cap can be shaped on the rod after the grip epoxy sets. If you do this, make sure that the plug you have is at least larger than the OD of your blank. If the plug is too small for the hole you've made, then you have to learn how to inlay a nickel or some other cap to cover the hole. If not, proceed to the step below.

You can also mount the ring on a 1/4" mandrel to shape it to the size of the grip. Calipers are useful here. Then just epoxy to the end of the rear grip that you have mounted flush with the end of the blank. Usually still have to do some light sanding to match up the butt with the rest of the grip.

Either way works. I typically will opt for the first step, if I don't turn my own grip.

Terry

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 10:14PM

I just started making my own grips, and I have been doing the second way that Terry mentioned. I turn the rubberized ring at the same time as the grip so that they match up and then I ream the grip but leave the rubberized ring alone and glue it it to the butt along with the small plug after the grip has been epoxied fast. Some light sanding and done. It seems to work pretty well this way.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.ded.btitelecom.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 07:32AM

I have used this method twice with good results. I reamed out the hole in the cap and then plugged the rubberized plug into this hole with epoxy on both pieces. When dry I just cut off the excess plug and then put this rubberized ring on the bottom of my clamp and built the rest of the handle with the cork rings. When dry I sanded the handle down and you cannot detect the plug in the end cap. Be sure and tape off the blank & reel seat before you do any sanding.

Date: June 11, 2007 09:22AM

Thanks for thw help.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 09:42AM

I do mine a little differently. I use rubberized cork with out a hole in the center, but if you have a plug I would epoxy that into the hole first and let it set up, then sand flat. I usually use a forstner bit a little larger than the blank and drill a hole in the center of the rubberized cork about a 1/4 deep. Epoxy the cork on the end of the rod and mate and epoxy to the fitted grip and clamp, after it cures you can file and sand down the rubberized cork to the same size as the grip. If you have a lathe and a chuck you can use a dowel the same size as the hole that you drilled, a bumper on the live tailstock to hold the rubberized cork on the dowel, you can turn the rubberized cork down to the size of your grip. After you turn it to size you can epoxy the grip and cap together with minimal sanding. It should look like this when done [www.rodbuilding.org] . I have a hard time explaining in written words, if you have any questions don't be afraid to e/mail me. Mark

Date: June 11, 2007 09:30PM

Thanks Mark. I'll see how this turns out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster