I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lightweight Casting Reel Seat
Posted by: Chris Dolne (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 10:26AM

Hello, I am fairly new to the site, have mainly just browsed until now. Anyway, my question is if there are is much difference in the wieght of casting reel seats. I am looked for the lightest (or one of the lightest) available. I have noticed Daiwa uses some that appear to be very lightweight on their rods.

Does anyone know where I can get something similar to these or at least lighter than the average Fgui seat etc. ? Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightweight Casting Reel Seat
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 10:46AM

The decrease in total weight and increased area of exposed surface for additional hand contact are important to bassers. Fuji Blank exposed seat - Rodmaker Article on RF Reel Seats - Dremel Tool - Dremel Cylindrical Drum Sanding Wheel - Grit Stix - Patience - Make it weigh as little as you want. After you butcher a few like this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Then you will go out and buy a variable speed scrool saw and an belt sander to make the good stuff quickly.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 11:11AM

Good word Bill!! I'll put out this suggestion for debate. A graphite skeleton with cork insert. Very light and does the job.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2007 11:10PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 11:20AM

The Diawa ones you saw are probably made exclusively for Diawa and not available to the general public. A lot of really cool reel seats are like that....too bad, because I've also seen a bunch of them I'd love to be able to buy.

Steve Buchanan

Steve's Custom Rods

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 11:32AM

William Bartlett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good word Bill!! I put out this suggestion for
> debate. A graphite sceleton with cork insert.
> Very light and does the job.
>
> Bill in WV

Yep ... the Super Sticker. Bob Mc at Custom Tackle carries them ... light, comfortable and high quality cork.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 11:46AM

Jim,

That wasn't what I was alluding to. But I agree with you. I've used the Weibe brand and they're great seats. I was talking about regular (Fuji, Pac Bay, etc) skeletons with a cork insert instead of wood or acryllic / poly. OK, after rereading Chris's original post, I see he's asking about casting seats. I thought he was talking about light spinning. So the obvious choice would be the Super Sticker seat with the cork instead of wood insert. Although, I have read a post on here somewhere where they stated that the trigger portion of the assembly is a little heavy. Didn't seem so to me though.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 11:56AM

I would listen to Bill Stevens.
I perform thison a lot of rods and between the decreased wieght of removing material and the increased contact directly to the blank. You will end up with a rod that will transmit vibrations to you hands better then the other suggestions.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 02:46PM

Good stuff Bill. I was just looking at a std DPSH seat a few days ago and considering chopping out the middle all together, leaving 2 separate pieces.

So long as it isn't caried to extremes, you can also go with an undersized seat and ream it out. I'm actually looking to do that on my next project, using an adjustable blade hand reamer. Would cut weight, tho I'm actually considering it to minimize/eliminate arboring and to lower the reel just a tad.

And Chris, have you looked at the plate style reel seats? They are pretty minimal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2007 02:47PM by Dave Hauser.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.158.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 10:32PM

Something Dave is alluding to.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 05:04PM

Yeah Mick, like that! Sorta.:-)
If you start with an undersize seat and reamed it out tho, that reel would come down and the gap between it and the blank could nearly disappear.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 05:22PM

Mick take a new look at your picture link and read the comments- this is serious business!!

The little Threadless Matrix caught it's 100 redfish yesterday and this one was over 27 inches - all still in place!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Chris Dolne (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 10:13PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I do like Bill's idea and played around with it last nighta nd seemed to work pretty well. Thanks a bunch. Tight lines

Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster