I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To build someone a rod?
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.for.connect.net.au)
Date: June 08, 2007 12:37AM

Do we need to understand why people go fishing to build them the best rod possible?
What is it - there is more to fishing than catching fish - What is it?
Frankly I build all my own rods but I don't really go fishing to catch fish - so what do my fishing rods need to be .... ??? Do they need something else?
Food for thought?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To build someone a rod?
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: June 08, 2007 05:27AM

Like my dear wife says: " It is a fine line between standing on the shore fishing, and just looking stupid!"
But,,,,,,,,,,,,what does she know about fishing??????????

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 10:03AM

I believe when someone designs a fishing Rod or builds domething with their own hands it is an extension of their personality
Good Weaps Bob

Posted by: edward torres (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 10:06AM

Thats funny Fred. I wish I had an answer Robert but I've always said also what the heck do I know I'm just dumm truckdriver trying to make a living with a new Visa. Ed

Rod, Reels and 18 wheels.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.46.79.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 10:34AM

Robert,
From my own perspective a custom built or just a handcrafted rod is something I take pride in both for its beauty as well as its functionality. I hope the person who I built the rod for uses it wisely and takes care of it. As to why I fish and how it shapes the rods I build, The following writing from Robert Traver, a retired Michigan State supreme court justice captures my own beliefs:

Testament of a Fisherman

I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.
-John Voelker (Robert Traver )

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Joe N Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: June 08, 2007 11:57AM

Robert,

I think it is essential to know several things about a client. Where they fish, how they fish, what they fish for, and why they fish are key discussion topics as you are sizing up the client and how this rod should be built.

I have "meat fishermen" come in here all the time. Most of them are content with a Wal-Mart rod. Once in a while, I get a guy who wants a better tool for bringing home meat for the table. No frills, no flash, but a solid design and a rod that will catch what he is after for years to come. The motivation (or why) of this fishing is different than the sportsmen, and the end result is different in the rod that is built.

By the way, these guys love sprial wrap rods.

Joe Douglas
Rod Builders International
208-476-5708
joe@rodbuildersintl.com

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: June 08, 2007 01:29PM

An important part of any business is understanding who your customer is and what he wants. Often you need to coach your customer through what he wants and part of that is knowing what type of fishing he does and how the rod is likely to be used. You know more about making rods than he does and you need to lay out the options. We've gotten into the discussion here many times over what is or what is not "custom" rod and I don't want to start that discussion again but, to me, there is a significant distinction between a custom rod and any other. I would define a custom rod as one made for a specific individual and for a specific type of fishing. I would generally approach making a rod for a serious tournament-type fisherman who gets out several times a week and who fishes year-round much differently than I would a rod made for some guy to give as a unique gift to his brother-in-law who maybe only gets out on the lake once or twice a year during the family vacation. I've made rods for people to give as gifts and they've wound up on the mantle to be looked at and have never been fished. How practical are top-notch, high cost components if you know that the rod is going to be a conversation piece rather than a well-used tool? In that respect, yes - you need to understand why people fish and how they fish to match them to the equipment that is best suited for them.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: June 08, 2007 06:12PM

I was trying to explain to my sister why I have over 30 rods and she didn't get it...she said its all the same you throw it out and reel it in...throw it out and reel it in. I was trying to explain baits and salt vs. fresh and all the intricasies of fishing and she was like there is no reason to spend 350 on a rod they all do the same.

So I agree with you i go fishing not always to catch fish...If all I wanted to do was catch fish i would go to wal-mart and buy a 17 dollar zebco fishing kit and a dozen night crawlers and sit on the bank...Fishing for guys like us is a lot more to it than catching fish. Its all about the experience and part of the experience is building the rod.

Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.for.connect.net.au)
Date: June 08, 2007 06:29PM

Ed
Sorry but there ain't no such thing as a dumb truck driver - I'll never except statements like that - people are more valuable than anything.
What you said made very good sense to me.
Thank you for contributing to the philosophical side of fishing and rod building
Robert

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 08:58PM

Ed - Robert's right. I did that for a while and made a living at it. It ain't dumb - just hard work.

Michael and Sam - you're right. Id read Voelker's piece before, but had never related it to building rods - just fishing. The old thing about beautiful trout living in beautiful places, is true.

There are very few things I can do that are more than utilitarian. Building rods, especially fancy rods, is one of those few. I get as much of a kick out of building one for me as I do building one for a customer.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 11:42PM

I think you can make an extra connection with an angler, if you take the time to understand what he or she wants, really. If you spend a little more time and ask enough questions, you can begin to understand what has caused your potential customer to consider a custom rod.

Is it looks? Maybe they understand the tool argument, but want something that looks really special and different. It calls to the craft of fishing, more than the catching of them. Bamboo anglers are very much in this category.

Is it function? Does your customer want a rod to perform a specific task that for whatever reason, they haven't been satisfied in the past? This is where you spend extra time on blank and component selection. These will often be the customers that respond to color and appearance question by saying "just make it look nice, but not too fancy".

Most people fall in one camp or the other, sometimes both. Either way, as a crafter of rods, it is part of the joy to be able to find out exactly what customers want (it's not easy for people to articulate exactly what it is they want) and then be able to deliver it for them.

It certainly is what I enjoy about it most, watching the customer accept a rod that is exactly what they wanted.

Sorry for the windage. Just come home from a couple of pints at the pub and am feeling a bit rhetorical.

Tight wraps all.

T2

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 11:07AM

I totally agree with all the above!! I will add this 1 point. In my tournament fishing experience, it all boils down to one thing. THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB!! I'm sure we all can say we've had the experience of using a pair of pliers or vice grips to get that stubborn nut off, and end up rounding off the corners. When it would have been much easier just to use the correct socket!! Just using an analogy to prove the point. As Ked said, I could never get my Mom or my late wife to understand why I had so many rods, and so many different baits.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster