I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where to get Feathers?
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (128.163.110.---)
Date: June 04, 2007 02:38PM

After my last post on feather inlays and much help from you guys i have figured out how to make a feather inlay. After making epoxy thread ramps and getting good at that and practicing with flytying feathers I am moving on up to trying it on a rod. Now my next question...where is the best place to get feathers.

I order most things from mudhole but they only seem to have jungle cock feathers which are nice its kind of the quintessential inlaying feather. What are some places I could find feathers and what are some other kinds of feathers i could try?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where to get Feathers?
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 04, 2007 02:51PM

Give Anglers Workshop a growl. I recently was there and they have an awesome stock of feathers and they are sponsors too.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 04, 2007 03:10PM

Call or E-mail Kate at Siskiyou Aviaries (sponsor on the left) and she will take care of you!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.179.239.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 03:57PM

Feathers, Feathers, Feathers......I'm sorry you hit a sore spot with me. I had a feather obsession lately. Looking every ware I'm hooked I even walk around the neighborhood & parks looking. Do you know how darn hard them things are to find I average about 1-2 a mile lolo.

As you can tell like I said I have a feather obsession be careful it's additive. You'll be listening for the neighbors birds and asking to save there feathers.

Have fun

Sorry about the @#$%& remark I wasn't thinking

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2007 08:43PM by Bruce Egolf.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (66.97.114.---)
Date: June 04, 2007 04:31PM

Local fly tying shops should have an assortment of feathers as well as @#$%&.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 06:57PM

I always try to buy all my rodbuilding supplies including feathers from sponsors of this board. Siskiyou Aviary has a great selectiom of all types of feathers for the rod builder and fly tyer and the prices are very competitive and shipping of feathers is very little.

So support the sponsors of Rodbuilding.org if you can because without them this site probably wouldn't be around very long.

IMHO
Bob Crook
La Pine, Oregon

c

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: June 04, 2007 07:03PM

@#$%& @#$%& for feathers!

Kate at Syskiyou Aviary is TOP DRAWER!

Anglers Workshop has TONS of different feathers and they are also TOP DRAWER!
I got enough grizzly hackle to last forever from Anglers when I was there.

As to the different feathers one should use. Terry Henson once suggested I use the feathers that
would be used to tie the flys that the rod would fish. ie: a salmon rod would have feathers used
to tie salmon flys or streamers. Makes sence to me.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 07:57PM

I've watched @#$%& for feathers and have never bought any - prices always get stupid, or the quality is suspect, I think. I agree - Kate at Siskiyou is awesome. Can't go wrong.

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.179.96.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 08:46PM

I'm sorry about the @#$%& remark. I do buy from the sponcers and I agree to support the sponcers. I didn't even think I could be getting in troble sorry I will be more carefull.

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 12:12AM

Bruce, you're not going to get in trouble for giving an opinion and you certainly don't need to apologize even though I prefer to deal with sponsors whenever possible

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.173.134.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 12:27AM

I posted my post because I mainly work with parrot feathers kinda hard to find. I have a takle shop rite down the corner from me and carries and large supplie of fly tieing feathers and I didn't see any parrot. Would any of the sponcers carry parrot. I use parrot to cut up into fish patterns. Make fish from feathers it's hard to beat the bright iredencent colors some of them realy imitate a fish pattern.

Bruce

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 05, 2007 09:32AM

Agreed Bruce - no need to apologize :-) I do look at the parrot feathers on @#$%& and drool - hard on the keyboard...

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 11:17AM

I've bought some nice parrot and some other exotic feathers off of @#$%& when I couldn't find what I wanted from the sponsors .

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 06:30PM

Ask the local pet store owners if they would save some parrot feathers for you. The birds are molting now here in the Northeast.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster