I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What Lathe to Get
Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.179.239.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 01:34PM

Hi all I am looking for a small lathe. I did the searches & searches and learned a lot. But still need to ask your opinions.

What low cost lath to get I saw the grizzly which looks like a possibility. Give me some more suggestions. I'm pretty good at making things but want to keep it pretty simple and defiantly low cost.

Thanks for all your help

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Lathe to Get
Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 03:21PM

Well, what do you want to turn with your lathe? Also, don't forget but turning tools, sharpening equipment, and chucks will probably cost more than the lathe (if you're turning wood). My favorite small lathe is the variable speed Jet mini. It's stout, well made, and works very, very well. Our turning club has a half dozen Jet mini's and they are bullet proof. I prefer it to it's larger brother the 1236 which really isn't stout enough for its capacity. Some other great small lathes are the Vickmark VL100, Oneway 1018 (discontinued but you can find them sometimes), Nova Mercury, Delta Midi. If you need something with larger capacity the Powermatic 3520B, Vickmark 200 or 300, Nova DVR, Stubby, Poolwood, or the larger Oneways (1224, 1640, 2436) are all solid choices. I learned on a Delta Midi and then went to a large Oneway 2436 as most of my turning is larger vessels. I turn Pens and cork on the Oneway but it is a bit of an overkill, it would be nice to have a Oneway 1018 around for the smaller stuff.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (129.42.184.---)
Date: June 04, 2007 04:41PM

As mentioned, depends upon what you want to turn. Just picked up a metal lathe myself, but if you are just thinking wood or grip materials that is overkill.
If you have a standing drill press, you can get attachments that let you turn vertically. That's certainly a cheap solution and fine for light usage.
A woodlathe is what all the rod handle guys seem to be using. Can't imagine you need more than 24" or so of capacity.
Variable speed DC motors are nice to have for any lathe, but they ain't for free. Also note that you can figure on spending as much on all the accessories and tools as you do on the lathe itself.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: June 04, 2007 04:58PM

I think the Rikon mini lathe is a great little lathe for not much money. And with an extension bed you can make it pretty long. I like the indexing and spindle lock features it offers.

I have a Delta midi and it is good. Also the Jet. I think they have pretty much perfected these things now and you are safe with any of the above. Look for a bargin.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 04, 2007 05:48PM

I have a Penn State Turncrafter Pro and really like it. The Jet, Delta, Rikon are all very similar and good buys. Like has been already said, the tools, chucks, sharpening equip will probably run as much as the lathe. One thing that I would definately recommend is the extension bed.. Keep in mind that if you are boring a 10" piece of stock, you need enough bed length to accomadaye the stock, 3 chucks and 12" drill bit. There is a reason that the various $100 lathes are $100. Many don't accept standard accessories like MT2 taper chucks, centers, etc and are very limited as far as what is available (if anything) in the way of accessories.
Although not essential, a variable speed is great if you can afford it. Get a good lathe and you will be happy and soon find yourself turning all sorts of things, get a poor one and you will end up very frustrated. Just my opinion!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 05:52PM

I have the Rikon as well. Very nice lathe period. It has a longer bed than most, and several litle features that are really nice once you start using it-it's well thought out for sure. I didn't buy the bed extension and I'm glad I didn't, I just dont need it to be any longer for what I turn and do.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2007 06:00PM

I have the Jet mini with the bed extension. I like it. I got a penn industries 3 jaw chuck. mandrels by lamar.

I use it for grip and cork, but will be starting to turn some saltwater lures..

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 08:05PM

Bang for the buck - it's got to be the Jet Midi or the PSI Turncrafter Pro. I looked HARD at mini/midi lathes before buying my Jet Mini. It's the new one with an indexing head. Very nice, solid lathe. They are basically the Gold Standard in midi lathes. I hear the Rikon is nice, it had some initial quality control issues that seem to be solved - additional capacity, but also heavier/less portable. I've never seen/used the TC Pro, but have heard a LOT of good about it. Here's a tip - watch Amazon for deals. I got my Jet Mini 1014I for $199 w/free shipping! From time to time they run some very good sales on lathes, chucks, tools, etc. Buy a 4 jaw chuck, virtually every one will grip a mandrel if you take the jaws off the chuck and use just the mounting slides. Then, you have the 4 jaw chuck for gripping wood for turning handles, etc. Plus, you will be setup for turning bowls, etc. - which you WILL become interested in after making some sawdust :-) Lathes are addictive - just remember, the lathe is the minor purchase - you NEED, and I mean NEED a good sharpening system, as well as good tools. A lathe is only as good as the tools are sharp. Do some research here and on woodturning forums to find a system that works for you. I'm still a beginner, but having a blast! Good luck...

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 08:10PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2007 08:12PM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.179.96.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 08:20PM

That's great there's some good info. cooming in THANKS guys. Rich you gave some good info. from the beginer point of view. Yes I started out just thinking handels. BUT I can see this evoling into something more. I saw some of the bowls outhers did a peice of art. There's some good stuff I can use keep it comming. I'm sure there's some one eles out there getting an education also

Thanks

Bruce
I have a lot of time and little money and it all works out just fine GO FISHING <*)))))>{

Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 08:45PM

The one cautionary note that I would add (based on personal experience) is to make sure that it's more than 1/3 HP. Since nobody else is complaining about their lathes, which for the most part seem to have 1/2HP, stick with that.
Steve

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 01:12AM

What lathe was Woodcraft selling at the show?

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 08:34AM

Chuck they were selling a Jet at the show. I have a Delta Midi and a Nova four jaw chuck. I like the Delta but looking at the Jet at Woodcraft I would say they look basically the same and it seems the Jets are easier to find. MB

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.10.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2007 10:43PM

I don't understand the attraction of wood lathes. I have a small metal lathe, 7x12, from grizzley. It has a large enough hole thru the headstock to allow me to turn my grips on the (bamboo) rod, plus it turns perfect cylinders for reelseat inserts effortlessly just by advancing the tool holder and engaging the leadscrew. If you wanted to make your own reelseat hardware, you're set to go, it is capable of cutting threads, and it comes with a 3 jaw chuck. If you wanted to do other woodturning projects it wouldn't be hard to rig a tool rest on the crossslide. I don't know what they cost now, but I would bet you could find one on sale for $500 or less. There are 4 or 5 companies that carry the same lathe with their own name on it, do a websearch for mini metal lathes and see what you find.
john

Posted by: Rodger Palmer (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 12:53PM

OK...definately FWIW....I agree with John above...why limit yourself (unless cost is a BIG issue) to a wood lathe. I have the Micro-Lux 7 X 14 mini lathe and love it. As noted above, accessories are always needed for any lathe.

[www.ares-server.com]

Happy trning....Rodge

Date: June 06, 2007 01:44PM

I think that a metal lathe would be great for reel seat inserts but for various shaped grips with contours, I think that a wood lathe would be much better. I'm not speaking from experience as I have never used a metal lathe but I did try to research them when I was considering a lathe. On my wood lathe, I routinely bore out wood, acrylic, etc stock 12" long with no problem and I don't think (Note that I said THINK) that you could do that with a metal lathe. I have also noticed that most who buy a wood lathe, myself included, have become hooked on turning and do many other things, ranging from game calls to bowls and a whole lot of other things.

I'm in no way belittling metal lathes but, for mr ast least, wood lathes are much more versatile and from what I've seen, less expensive. Just my opinion, which isn't worth a whole lot.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 06, 2007 02:48PM

I took Mike's advice a couple years ago and bought a Turncrafter Pro. The only thing I wish I had done was get the variable speed model. I will be getting the adapter kit soon. I also bought a Nova Midi 4 jaw chuck and haven't looked back. One suggestion I would make though, is to get Andy Dear's DVD on The Lathe In Rod Building. Was invaluable to me.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bruce Egolf (---.247.173.54.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 04:42PM

Hey every one great info.

Mike I think I'm with you. And yes cost is a BIG factor rite now.

I know you should always get more than you think you need because before long you will need it. I know BUT I just want to start out cheap turn some simple things for now and grow a little later when I can afford to. I like to turn simple handles and I saw some bowls wow that's an art in it's self.

Real quick I have a chance to get a Jogensen Wood Lathe # 71243. Any body got one or have any opinions. It looks like the Grizzly Hobby H2669. It seems like it has a little more stuff.

Thanks for all the input it will all be well used

Bruce

Date: June 06, 2007 05:57PM

I just looked on the internet and it is a "hobby" lathe that requires a drill for power. You can turn cork/EVA but that's about as far as it's ability goes. I had a Grizzly hobby lathe (almost identical) and although I loved it, I very quickly outgrew it and purchased a Turncrafter so to me, it was money wasted. If you plan on doing ANY thing other than cork/EVA grips, I wouldn't consider anything short of a recommended lathe such as Turncrafter Pro, Jet, Delta, Rikon and others that you can grow with and get some help here with. I would strongly recommend an extension bed.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2007 11:01PM

Bruce - I agree with Mike - even though cost is an issue, save your money and spring for a TC Pro, Jet, Delta, or Rikon. You will be VERY glad you did.

Well, I read the posters stating that they preferred a metal lathe to a wood lathe, and it kinda bugged me for awhile as I thought about the statement that was made regarding "limiting" yourself with a wood lathe, and that the choice should be a financial one with regard to buying a metal vs. wood lathe. I'm not trying to argue, but honestly for me, I would feel more limited with a metal lathe. I'm still very much a beginner, but I have used metal lathes and mills (HUGE ones) back when I was in college and had a job in the schools hydraulic engineering lab (cool job!). Anyways, the point of rodbuilding for me is very much a creative aspect. Now, being an engineer, you could easily argue I'm not the least bit creative - and I would agree! But what talent I have, I enjoy bringing out in my rod work. If I had a metal lathe, sure, I could turn a reelseat that was nearly perfect in terms of consistent diameter. I would do it by turning a little handle that positioned a cutter head so far from the axis of rotation, then moving that cutter down the length of the lathe bed. Sorry, to me that's production, not relaxing and creative art. With my wood lathe, when I turn a reelseat, I feel every nuance of the wood I'm turning, the sharpness of the skew, etc. - it's fun and relaxing, and very, very satisfying. And, even though I'm very new to this, I can turn a seat to a consistent enough diameter you'll have to break out a pretty accurate micrometer to measure the runout in it - it's not that hard (even I can do it!) Then, with the wood lathe, I can move on to grips (just turned a birch bark full wells fly rod grip tonight - that was too much fun!), and I can expand into other forms of turned wood art if I want to - bowls, hollow forms, pens, boxes, etc. So I guess what I am saying is that take your pick - but don't say that a wood lathe is limiting or for people who can't afford a metal lathe. It all depends on your area of interest. I'd be willing to bet some money (not much, two small kids, very little discretionary income), that there are some rodbuilders on this board turning on metal lathes, and they are also gunsmiths - hence the need for a metal lathe instead of a wood lathe. Neither is more or less limiting than the other, just different.

Ok, I'm shutting up and climbing down off my Tide box now.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2007 11:11PM by Rich Handrick.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster