I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji IPS or NPS?
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: May 24, 2007 07:04AM

G'day Guys,

I'm planning to build lightish 3 piece 7' travel rod for tossing about soft plastics and maybe a few small hard body lures. The blanks I'm looking at are rated in the 8-15lb range. I'll be running light braid with fluorocarbon leader and my Daiwa Capricorn 2000 which hopefully will soon be upgraded to a Certate in 2000 size.

I'm thinking of building the rod with a split rear grip, reel seat downlocking and shortened to suit the reel and no foregrip so I can place my index finger on the blank for feel. I'll make my own custom cork grips from rings.

Is the Fuji IPS seat too light for this application and therefore should I go with an NPS seat?

I am sure there are posts elsewhere here about shaping cork to fit the IPS seat but I can't find them after searching for quite a while with different search criteria. Can anyone point me in the direction of previous posts or help with input on inletting a cork grip for the IPS seats?

Thanks

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji IPS or NPS?
Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 24, 2007 07:27AM

Mate go the IPS seat. Done right , it will suit what you are doing. Look at the Matagi site. Theyhave so beautiful IPS seats.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 24, 2007 08:25AM

Jason,
Check out the Classic Custom Wood site to the left, the rod grip section, he has a tutorial there on the IPS grips.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 24, 2007 09:10AM

As an alternative view - I don't care or the IPS seat at all, you can find it on production rods and lookalikes can be found on a junk rod from Wal-Mart. I LOVE the NPS seats. I built myself a 6' walleye/smallmouth jigging rod with the NPS seat, set downlocking as you described. Split grip, with only about 1" of handle material (burl cork/trim) on either side of the reelseat. It is an incredibly comfortable handle assembly. Everyone that picks the rod up really likes it - in fact I'm building one virtually identical for a friend now. Truthfully, reelseats are inexpensive - buy both and decide which one you want to use. Then, the one you don't use - well, darn it, you will just have to build another rod to use it on!! :-)

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 24, 2007 10:16AM

I agree with Rich. I have been using NPS size 18 seats for my own rods and it is very comfortable. I use one burl ring at the fore grip position (turned to suit) and two rings aft of the seat. I mount it down locking with a full length Flex Coat arbor. Four rings and a composite on the butt end and you have a very light grip that is comfortable to fish with and fast to build at low cost.

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dewr.gov.au)
Date: May 24, 2007 06:42PM

Guys,

Thanks for the input. As I have never seen or felt either seat in the flesh I might do as you suggest and buy both and then decide.

Chuck, re your grip arrangement I gather that your foregrip is then 1/2" wide (1 burl ring) and your rear grip 1" wide (2 burl rings). Is this right or are burl rings different thicknesses?

Mark, you are right, the Matagi stuff is very nice and I will probably use one of their seats in the future but I'm not quite confident enough yet to do so. I will however use their winding checks and probably their decorative butt inserts on this rod.

Thanks again guys

Jason

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 24, 2007 08:38PM

I love the NPS but I prefer it uplocking and a ramp or "winding check button" as a transition to the blank so I can lay my finger or thumb on the blank. Have to try it downlocking one of these times.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: May 24, 2007 08:38PM

Jason, you are correct. I will try to posts some pictures soon. I'm stuck down in the shop and my wife has a bunch of friends upstairs for coffee.

I do mine much the same as this but my seat is positioned 180 degrees - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Chuck

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: May 25, 2007 09:49AM

Chuck,

Thanks for the link to the photo. I get the idea now.Looks good too!

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 30, 2007 01:54PM

I finally had time to post some pics:

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The EVA is on a Rainshadow ISB782 and the other rod is a Rainshadow ISJ781

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster