I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite Handle Tubing Suitable for Extension?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 16, 2007 08:17AM

Can I use something like the Lami Texalium or one of the other brands out there to make a handle extension? Is the stuff strong enough to make a 18" extension for a lighter surf rod, given the forces that will be generated during casting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite Handle Tubing Suitable for Extension?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2007 08:54AM

That depends on how light and how much force you're talking about. Is the Texalium at least as stiff and strong as the butt section of the blank? If not, then I wouldn't use it for that purpose.

Date: May 16, 2007 09:55AM

I've never actually handled a piece of it. Does anybody out there know how stiff it is? I would want it to be very stiff given the way I am thinking of using it.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.189.54.---)
Date: May 16, 2007 10:11AM

Marty,
It is very, very stiff. It is somewhat counter intuitive but stiffness is primarily a function of diameter and length and wall thickness affects it very little. Stiffness increases at the 4th power of diameter (twice the diameter will be 16 times as stiff). Most of the Texilium is 1" in diameter which I assume is quite a bit larger in diameter than your blank so the Texilium will be quite a bit stiffer than your blank.
I think that your problem in using the Texilium as an extension is not going to be the stiffness of the Texilium but is more likely to be the strength of the joint between the Texliium and your blank. If the shim that you use is not very strong and the blank moves at all inside the Texilium the joint will fail.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 16, 2007 10:59AM

You can use smaller ID GRaphite tubing, but that only comes in GRey/Black color. What Emory said about the shim is really important. I have a rod which I used 1/2" Titanium tubing as an extension in a Fuji DEtachable reel seat. I used an FC arbor, and when I flex the rod the extension bends at a bad angle, as if it is goign to break. I do not use the rod as a result. What I'm pretty sure is happeneing, is the FC arbor compresses when the blank is flexed (it's an 8'8 GUSA Monster rated 30-60#'s, so theris a LOT of pressure on teh joint). Teh shim is only 3 3/4" long due to teh construction of the reel seat.

I hae another light 10# rod which I used a piece of 15mm CArbon Fiber as an 18" extension which the gap was very small and I used standard grey graphite arbors, and have no problems whatsoever.

Date: May 16, 2007 11:14AM

Actually, the blank I have in mind is the Seeker CSU100, which has a butt size of .965; and the Texalium has an I.D. of .980; so the difference looks to me like 0.015 which I'm guessing would be taken up by 1 layer of D size thread. I also understand that the CSU100 has a "straight" butt section, so am I correct that it will have no taper at the bottom?
The only thing I think I don't like about what I have in mind is the need to use a 26mm reel seat; but on a spinning setup that might actually make for a good grip.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2007 12:21PM

The butt of the CSU100 is much stronger than the Texalium. You need something else for the extension. Wall thickness does play an important role here, not so much for stiffness as the diameter does, but for strength.

Date: May 16, 2007 02:03PM

Sounds like aluminum with a twine grip wrap might be the ticket if I go this route.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster