I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Help
Posted by: Mike Nguyen (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 16, 2007 02:08AM

Hello Guys

I have a St. Croix blank and am having trouble with keeping the line off the blank during my static deflections test.

I have a model #5C70MF
length: 7'0"
-power: M
-action: fast
-pieces: 1
-line weight rating: 10-17lb
-lure weight: 1/4-3/4oz.
-butt diameter (inch): .470
-tip size: 5.5

I am using fuji alconite guides:

CLNAG(double foot): 25,16,10,8
CLAG Fly Guides: 6,6,6,6,6,6
Tip Top: 6

Do I need to get CLNAG (DB) to replace two of the 6J's. or should I not use Fly guides at all on a casting rod. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Help
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2007 07:48AM

Are you following the series on guide selection and placement in the recent issues of RodMaker?

You need to perform the static test under three stages of load. At maximum load on any of them, you may have the line just touch the blank. That's okay - but you don't want it to drop down alongside or underneath the rod.

You only need three guide sizes. Get rid of the rest. I really can't imagine a size 25 or even a 20 butt guide on a freshwater casting rod. But I have no idea what reel you're using.

You may have to move up in ring size on the running guides just a tad to get a little more height, but you don't want to overdo this because it will tend to add weight which will work against you at some point.

8 or 9 guides plus a tiptop should be plenty on this blank.

Posted by: Mike Nguyen (70.133.101.---)
Date: May 16, 2007 11:28AM

So Three guide sizes.

I will go with 12,10,8, (Double Foot)

Running guides should I use 8 or 7's. Also Should I use fly guides or bridge guides for the running guides to keep the line off the blank. Bridge guides are higher but would they add too much weight?

Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 16, 2007 11:38AM

Personally, I would use the CLAG's

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2007 12:33PM

I'm with Mike double ft just extra weight

Date: May 16, 2007 06:21PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm with Mike double ft just extra weight

Ok. So I was wondering about he single food bridge guides (BUNAG), what are the purpose of these guides?

So

I just ordered more guides....

CLNAG(double foot): 12,10,8,8
CLAG 7,7,7,7, Plus tip top 6 (Because I already have it in a six)

I moved up one ring size in my running guides.

"You may have to move up in ring size on the running guides just a tad to get a little more height"

Sounds good?

Date: May 16, 2007 07:35PM

"Ok. So I was wondering about he single food bridge guides (BUNAG), what are the purpose of these guides? "
IMO, it gives them more product to sell LOL! Personally, I have never seen the purpose of it.

Why so many double foots? Try 12 DF 8SF and the rest 7 Fly guides and see what you think! Have you considered a simple spiral wrap??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 07:58AM

I've wrapped quite a few 7' medium, fast actioned casting rods using alconite guides. My standard set up is to use one each of the size 12 & 10 double foot guides, one size 8 transition guide and five size 6 fly guides (8 guides in total). Measuring back from the rod tip, I place my first #6 guide at 3", the second #6 about 6 1/4" and so on. I don't have my notes with me now but I believe that the placement of the #12 is around 42", or middle of the blank. This set up has worked very well for me when I use any of the low profile casting reels available(e.g. Shamino, Diawa, etc.).

I don't know if the transition guide provides any additional functionality but I believe it helps aesthetically.

You may want to try this and see if it works for you.

Keith

Date: May 17, 2007 12:21PM

Keith

In your static tests using those guides, does the line touch the blank at any point? I think it does around the tip area because the 6 fly guides are so low? That's the problem I am having. It is physically impossible unless the 6 fly guides are higher? Maybe it touches and doesn't go under and that would be ok as Mr. Kirkman stated. If that's the case, I was cool all along except for my huge stripper guides.. lol

I will try your set up again once my guides come in. Thanks again. Your 8 transition guide, what type of guide is it Fly Guide CLAG8J? Or Single Foot Bridge? or DF?

Thanks guys.

Off topic... I been using masking tape to secure the guides during my static deflections test, it's a pain to move them around. Where can I get small enough Rubberbands or Surgical tubing or what do the pro's use here.

Date: May 17, 2007 12:52PM

Mike,
For temp holding the guides on I find the simplest way to temporarily attach guides so that you can easily move/adjust them is to get tubing of various ID,s (go to any Hobby shop that deals with model airplanes. You can buy tubing in numerous sizes by the foot (used for fuel lines, etc) A cutting board and razor blade will give you a lifetime supply of really thin "rubber bands" in no time at all in various sizes.

Just slide however many you need unto the blank (with a few extra) roll them down to the "general" location where each guide goes and slip the guide foot under the band and you're all set. I put the rod /reel into a rod holder mounted to the end of my bench and do the static test as described in the library above. You will be surprised at how fast the whole process goes (minutes) after you've done a few. The more you do, the easier it gets!!

When you wrap your guides, go a ways up the foot until the guide is secure, just touch the band with a razor and it will fly off. Quick, easy and makes adjusting position real easy.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: May 17, 2007 01:12PM

Thanks Mike

That helps alot. Much easier thane masking tape.

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 02:57PM

Mike;
The transition guide I am referring to is BUNAG, which is a single foot guide.

Also, the setup I described earlier will result in the line barely touching the blank when it is put under a full load, although it doesn't drop over the side or under the blank as Tom cautioned about earlier. Usually it occurs between guides 2-3. I don't know how many guides it would take to prevent that using low profile guides on a fast action tipped rod. I've never experienced a problem with this setup as most of the fish I catch are off on the side of me anyway. Very seldom am I fighting a fish directly below me.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster