I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mandrels
Posted by: craig johnson (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 16, 2007 05:52AM

Hi all,
I am from Australia, mandrels r a little to heavy to import from america, price wise, Ross at the Rod works does not stock them, could some one please tell me the sizes dimentions ect so i can get a enginering shop to make me up some, i am thinking a 1/4" through to 5/8" dia would look after most if not all rods i build, i know Andys mandrels r 18 inchs long, before i ring and make an order from a enginering shop, is there any thing else i should take into account, i have a mini Jet lathe,
All help would be appreciated.
Craig Johnson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mandrels
Posted by: Alan Royce (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2007 07:34AM

Craig,

Make sure they thread one end for you so that you can tighten down your peice when you are working. I found a sleeve that I taped out and put two small screws in to lock one end and threaded the other with a nut. You would then slide on the part with the two screws and lock it down, than a sleeve, the peice you are working and than another sleeve. You adjust your locking device so that with your threaded end you can tighten down the hole thing. Hope that made sence. I can send a picture if that will help.

Alan

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2007 07:37AM

Mine are straight rods, no threads. I glue up on the mandrel and chuck one end in the lathe, the other is bored for a 60 degree live center cone.

Depending on what size grips you make or need to fit to your blanks, I'd probably go - 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 inch on the sizes.

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.202.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 16, 2007 08:36AM

Sorry duplicate post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2007 08:38AM by Steve Dyczkiewycz.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: May 16, 2007 09:57AM

Craig, I make my own, I only make them 12" long so they fit in my jet 1014 lathe which I use for turning wood and cork. The longer length in my opinion is unnecessary. If the handles are longer than that I make them in two pieces and glue them together on the blank. I use drill rod which is available at most metal or welding shops and comes in usually 3 ft lengths, which allows me to make three out of one stick. I use center drills to cut the cone in the end of the rods, but I drill them in each end, so the mandrel can be used any direction. A local machine shop should be able to make them for you. The sizes I have are 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 and 5/8. I use a morse taper #2 drill chuck on the turning end of the lathe, I have a nova chuck, but I use that for only square pieces of wood when turning., but I imagine that you could hold some of the mandrels in that also, and go with extra length. I also have a metal turning lathe, 7x12 that I use for turning the reelseats, simply because of the accuracy, and the longer mandrels just make it hard to work with given the length of the bed and the area between the headstock and tailstock that is actually available to turn certain lengths of wood or cork. I too only have smooth rods with no threads, you can glue the material on or use a strip of tape to take up the space if needed. In extreme cases I have used lock collars and spacers, but rarely. Just my take on the subject. Galen

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 16, 2007 10:58AM

As Long as you're going to have them made, I would go with the threaded ones. You can get by without them but they de4finately make life easier and would add very little, if anything, to the ccost. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: craig johnson (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 16, 2007 04:11PM

Thank u everyone for your replys, i will let you know how i get on.
Craig

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster