I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight spinning rod component recommendations
Posted by: Ron Delesky (---.dsl.yntwoh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2007 07:10PM

I am planning on building either a 5'or 6' ultralight spinning rod for panfish that will be rated for 4lb. line as well as 1/64 oz. lure weight, and ultimately made up of premium components. What brand of blanks, guides, and reel seats would you recommend for this project?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight spinning rod component recommendations
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: May 13, 2007 08:08PM

I would use M guides and a cork TN handle. Light & simple.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2007 10:21PM

Personally, I would use the fuji Titanium TATSG spinning guides, then TLSG running guides, and an NPS18 reel seat (downlocking). Then, I'd use very little cork at the rear of the reel seat (maybe 2-4 rings) for my butt.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2007 10:39PM

I'm with chuck
Batson Match guides and tip (M guides)
Tennessee handle no seat. Except I would use graphite instead of cork
I would also use a Batson blank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2007 10:40PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: May 13, 2007 11:22PM

Ron, do you want it to be ultra-light in action and weight or just in action?

Chuck

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 14, 2007 08:17AM

Lots of good suggestions here - I would also recommend M frame guides for the first 2-3 from the butt, then SF ceramic fly guides in sz 6 to the tip. You say 5 or 6 foot. Unless there is some reason to go short, like fishing brushy areas with little room, I'd HIGHLY recommend at least a 6' rod - you get alot better casting distance, more protection for the light line, and better fish fighting capability. If you want a cool ultralight rod - go find a 7' , 0 power popping rod blank - great action and they make a great ultralight.

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2007 09:36AM

Hey Ron,
If you are interested in keeping the rod weight down, I would have to recommend the NIA Titan Singlefoots. You could even transition down to the NIF Fly guides. I would use a cork handle and possibly even shave it down once it is glued on the rod for thinner and lighter grips. I would probably use a light, size 16 graphite seat.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 14, 2007 09:38AM

If you want a light weight grip you can turn it out of brick foam arbor material and flock it. I've done this with several UL spinning rods with good results.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Paul_Schendel (---.kochind.com)
Date: May 14, 2007 10:10AM

I would recommend, if you haven't already, you read the article in Volume 10 #1 of Rodmaker on building an ultralight rod. The timing for this article was perfect for me as I was just about to build a "standard" 5 foot ultralight. I took the recommendation of Tom in the article and built a 6'-6" rod. I used a Batson blank, "M" guides, Andy's cork with a brick foam core to lose some weight and a size 18 reel seat. It is a fantastic ultralight rod. Don't go too small on the reel seat, if you do, you will feel the fatigue in your hand in short order.

Good Building!

Paul Schendel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster