I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2008 ICRBE Admission Fees
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2007 01:25PM

I had hoped to be able to reduce the admission fee for the 2008 event. Yesterday I was informed by the Showplace that they will be increasing the rental fee for the upcoming event. As such, I just don't have any real margin to allow me to reduce the admission fee. Sorry.

Still, at $8 per day ($15 for advance weekend (two-day) tickets) I think this event represents the very best value in all of custom rod building. You simply cannot see this much, learn this much, or meet this many rod builders anywhere else for any amount of money.

The fee won't be reduced, but it won't be increased, either. I guess in this day and age, the fact that the admission fee won't be increasing, could be considered a pretty good deal. Particularly since the event will again be larger than the previous one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2008 ICRBE Admission Fees
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 11, 2007 01:35PM

I thought that it was almost ridiculously low for what you get anyways. Anyone balking at those prices isn't likely to drop a dime while inside anyways. Considering that some events, a tiny fraction of the size, charge $100 or more and offer a fraction of the benefits, this is a real bargain

Are the rooms available for booking yet??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: May 11, 2007 01:38PM

That is a silly thing to apologize for. There are rod building events being held this year that are not even one tenth the size of yours and yet have admission fees ten times as high. The Expo is the best thing going. Eight bucks is chump change for something of this size and quality. It would be bargain at ten times the price and in some ways I think you are shortchanging yourself by not charging more. You could certainly get it.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2007 02:12PM

I heartily agree that the fee is MORE than reasonable, someone in the neighboring county will spend more in gas to get to and from - much less what the rest of us pay to get there. I attend quite a few tradeshow in other industries and quite often pay $100 or more, per day, to just gain floor admission - seminars and workshops are HUNDREDS of dollars more in almost all cases.

I encourage you to charge what you need to in order to provide a "first class experience". The last show was great and if more could be done, I would think that the expense would be more than acceptable to pass along - after all, it is a once-a-year event.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2007 02:55PM

I'm already charging all we need to provide a "first class experience." Not sure how much more we can do - no one else has managed to do even this much and guys are already telling me that they can't seem to get around to everything as it is. But I'm always thinking on ways to make things bigger and better. A few new things are already in the works for 2008.

Rod building is a pretty good sized craft, but not nearly so large that it could sustain any sort of event that charges $100 a pop for admission (even $50 is doubtful). Even if it were worth it, you just won't find many guys willing to pay that much, no matter what you offer. If you do a really, really, really, really good job of marketing, you might get as many as 100 to 150 guys (maybe) to turn out for a very good event that charged $100 or so for admission. And with just 150 or fewer guys, your vendors are guaranteed to lose money and aren't likely to come back the following year. Each facet of such an event has to scratch the back of another facet. And with such a high attendance fee, that circle is quickly broken.

I'm not worried about making any money myself, although I certainly don't want to lose any money. If 1500 - 1600 rod builders show up, I can break even. $8 per day for admission, plus free parking, plus 40 to 50 vendors in 60 to 70 booths and all the various seminars and demonstrations, should make this the best value in all of custom rod building for a long time to come. I can't say I won't go up at some point, but any increase would be a very modest increase and only enough to cover any increase on my end due to higher facility rental, etc. For 2008, the admission fee won't be reduced but it won't be increased either.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 11, 2007 04:54PM

A number of the very large "outdoor" shows (the Can Am in Cobo Hall, Detroit, comes to mind) charge a certain amount for adults, less for kids. The last time I heard, advance adult tickets were well over $12. But booths were over $1,000 for a 10x10.

This is an amazing show for $8. Please don't apologize. Quite frankly, I thought it was gonna go up to $10 this year. Now if you can just hold the table price right where it was - - -

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: May 11, 2007 06:45PM

TOM,

You are worried about $8.00.

If I could afford the flight to the States, I would not care what the cost of admission was, just to be able to meet some of the expert people on this board.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2007 10:44AM

Tom;
I don't care what you charge, as long as you have the show!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (64.19.166.---)
Date: May 12, 2007 11:14AM

It cost me $8.00 is gas to cut my lawn yesterday.Given the choice the show wins hands down.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 12, 2007 11:05PM

For quality and quanity, this show is the very best bargain in rodbuilding today - and I'm only a hobby builder. I've attended all of them and have learned a ton of thngs, as well as benefiting from good product pricing. It's great fun, also.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster