I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FLY ROD FOR 80LB TUNA
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: May 08, 2007 10:15AM

I have a customer who would like to get a fly rod for his wife. She will be targeting Yellow fin in the 80lb range is a 12-14 wt enough or should I go to a 14-16 wt. She will be using 20lb tippet and lighter. Thanks Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FLY ROD FOR 80LB TUNA
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 10:30AM

Scott I have some information that will certainly interest you. Your email address is hidden on this board. Check your profile and unhide and I can communicate with you. Or send me an email by clicking on my name at the top of this post.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2007 10:46AM

I would look at a back bouncing blank rather than a fly rod blank. Keep it fairly short - she should be looking at something no longer than 8 feet.

I have built dozens of these for tuna and marlin and many up to 200lb have been taken on them.

Date: May 08, 2007 10:51AM

Tom, What is a back bouncing blank? Thanks

Date: May 08, 2007 10:58AM

Bill, I sent you an email. However my address is csi1@mindspring.com

Date: May 08, 2007 11:00AM

These are stout rods for back bouncing plugs often used in the Pacific Northwest (more info is on the Glossary page here). When I first started building fly rods for tuna and marlin, there wasn't much in the way of actual fly rod blanks made with that kind of power. A 12-13 and then some 13-15 models came out, but were too long to allow the angler to apply enough pressure, for very long, on these large fish. I went searching and ended up with some back bounce blanks that really got the job done.

They'll cast okay (don't expect to make picture perfect 80 foot casts). I assume these fish are being teased up behind the boat and into range? If so, you don't need to cast more than about 40' in most instances. The shorter length will help whip the fish more quickly and allow you come closer to putting as much pressure as possible on the fish with the stout 20lb tippet. I still tend to look for fast action back bouncing blanks, but there is a trade off. The fast action models cast better, but the more moderate action models fold up quicker so you end up with a shorter effective lever for the fish to pull against. I haven't kept up with what's available in BB blanks lately so you'd have to scour the catalogs and see what's out there.

Date: May 08, 2007 11:03AM

Thanks Tom, Ok next question for cyber space. Does anybody know where I can find these Back Bouncing Blanks?

Date: May 08, 2007 12:01PM

Most any of the graphite blank manufacturers offer them.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 07:18PM

Scott, GLoomis sells two back bouncing blanks in their GL 2 series. One is rated for 12-25 lb. line and the other for 17-40 lb. You would have to ask Tom which one would best suit your purpose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster