I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balancing a fly rod
Posted by: Wayne Kohan (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 26, 2007 10:36AM

I built a Dan Craft 10 ft, 7 wt fly rod last fall to use for steelhead fishing, especially nymphing, and it served me well this past fall. I went out for smallmouth bass this past week, so used the rod for that. I noticed that the rod is "top heavy", that is, the balance point is quite a ways forward of my grip, and it seemed my arm tired quickly using it to throw streamers. It has a short fighting grip on the end, and I could easily pop off the end stopper and add some weight to balance it so the balance point would be closer to the foregrip. Would there be any reason not to do this, besides adding overall weight to the rod? Would this likely make my arm less tired, or do I just need to fish more to build up those arm muscles?

Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balancing a fly rod
Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: April 26, 2007 11:01AM

Consider using a heavier reel. Adding weight to the butt will also work. Yes, better balance will reduce strain.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 11:05AM

I had the same issue with a Dan Craft 10' 8wt that I built for my son, tip heavy even with an Orvis Large Arbor V reel. The balance point was 1" above the "normal resting" point on the 7" full wells grip. My solution was to strip the grip off, order a special non-inletted 7 1/2" full wells from REC, and glued a 1/2" cut-out cork ring to the bottom for an 8" full wells grip. Balances perfectly!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 11:31AM

I usually use a 9' fly rod and a 10" rod always feels a bit tip heavy to me until I get use to it. Remember you are casting with a longer lever and it takes more energy or strength to move the tip and the line weight through the casting arc on a longer rod than it does on a shorter one.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.41.2.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 04:34PM

Hello Wayne,
You might check your reel. Some reels have a plate that you can remove and add some small shot (miniature beebees) that can be added to balance the rod a bit. They can be removed when either you adjust to the longer lever or use that reel on another rod. It is a bit cumbersome, but easier than adding weight permanently. If you add more weight, then if you change reels, the balance will also be changed.
Just my penny's worth.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: April 26, 2007 04:52PM

I think that any weight added to a flyrod anywhere is "bad". I just do not go with the "balance" theory. So my advise is to try it first with some type of removable weight that you can take off if you don't like it. I also don't fish 10 foot rods so I have no direct experience with that.
I make the handle a little longer and hold the rod at the "balance point" when I am stripping, etc. but when I cast I what my hand back as close to the reel as I can get it and the overall weight as low as I can get it.
Try casting the rod without the reel some time. Just pull out some slack and put the reel in your pocket or something. Crisp casting, is it not?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2007 05:23PM

I wouldn't add weight to the rod, I'd move to a larger reel (a larger reel with a larger outside diameter will increase your line pick up ratio - arbor size has nothing to do with that - and thus you get some added benefit there as well).

I tend to think along the lines of what Bill mentioned to you above, but I have used a 10 footer and I know what you're talking about when you say the rod is tip heavy. It can be tiring. Again, if you feel you need to move the balance point to the rear a bit, I'd move to a larger reel, which should be a bit heavier.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 09:05PM

What kind of guides did you use? (I may be opening a can of worms here..LOL) Also, how thick did you apply the thread finish on? If the thread finish is in the sahpe of a football, than IMHO is that you used too much and that will have an expontial effect the longer the rod is.

I agree with Bill 100%. No matter where you add weight to a rod, it is bad. A wise rod builder/desinger told me that one time-Gary Loomis. I also agree with Bill with the "do not go to the balance" therory. Adding to the problem in a different area...

TOM: I love what you said about the large arbor farce...I never bought into it-not when they came out, and still don't.

I've used 10 foot rods for nearly 30 years, and IMHO they perform best and feel the best when single foot wire guides are used-who cares about the noise, if any at all. Just get the guides that are TiCH coated and don't look back.

GOod luck...
Paul

Posted by: Wayne Kohan (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 26, 2007 10:36PM

Thanks all for the comments. I have an Orvis DXR reel, which is an older reel and weighs about the same as the Battenkill LA IV. It's actually what I would consider to be a fairly heavy reel. I thought the idea of adding weight to the rod wouldn't be the greatest idea. I think the problem on my last trip was compounded by the fact I was in my pontoon boat, and therefore sitting all the time. This keeps my arm higher and more in front of me than when I'm standing. I was amazed at how much lighter my 9', 6 wt felt compared to it. And that same 6 wt usually feels so heavy compared to my 8 1/2 ft 5 wt Sage VPS. I've built all these rods, and they all have double foot guides. I use minimal epoxy to finish the rods.

And Tom, I agree whole heartedly with your comment about the large arbor reel, it's the outside diameter that matters, not the inside diameter.

Wayne

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 10:51PM

GIRLIE-MEN! sheeeesh!!!!!!

(just joking!)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Gary Richmond (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 27, 2007 09:12AM

Seems that today's trend is "ultra lite reels" and I hate them. Makes for a very tiring, unbalanced system.
Adding weight to the butt was a way to help. A larger spool does not always mean heavy enough though, I go for the weight. Another quick (semi) fix is the possibility of adding solder wire wraps to the spool arbor, but this is only a poor band-aid at best as when stripping line the spool will tend to over-run from centrifugal force. But, it will allow a way to find the correct weight required to balance an outfit. My personal comfort fit is when all balances at the "pinkie" with a loaded reel. Sure makes the wrist / arm happier after a few hours of "Buggin".

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 01:30AM

I went with something like Tim's idea on my 10 ft FTs. I'm building a 9 1/2 ft DC Sig V 6 wt right now that's going to Alaska with me in June, I'm messing with a Gordon shaped longer grip to see if I like it. This stuff is half the fun, the putting it together can sometimes be a little more anti-climatic, till I get the finish on it and can go out a fish'em.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster