I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2008 ICRBE Vendors
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:45PM

Although we’re still a long 9 months out, time goes by fast and we’ll be in full swing on the 2008 International Rod Building Exposition in just a few weeks. Following are the companies that we expect to have on hand. All but 4 or 5 have recently given me verbal commitments to attend and display at the 2008 event. Contracts will go out next month and by mid summer I’ll be able to lock in exactly who will be there, but as I said, with just 4 or 5 exceptions, all the following companies have expressed a desire to exhibit at the 2008 event. New additions are listed at the bottom of the list.

Batson Enterprises (Rainshadow/Forecast)

Renzetti, Inc.

Scott's Custom Rods

Fish Sticks 4U

RodMaker Magazine

Pacific Bay International

Sticks & Bones

MIckel's Custom Rods

Donart

Lamar Fishing

Angler's Resources (Fuji)

St. Croix Rods

Composite Tube Systems

Lamiglas

Decal Connection

Swifty/Diamondite

Mud Hole Custom Tackle

WoodCraft

Swampland Rods

The Rod Shop

Trondak U-40

Ken's Custom Rods

Black Dog Tackle

Sevier Manufacturing

G. Loomis, Inc.

Custom Tackle Supply

RBI (Rod Builders International)

NERBS (Northeast Rod Builders)

Matagi Components

REC Components

American Tackle

Calico Creek Rods

TightLine Rods

Legacy Paddlesports/Get Outdoors

Cork Specialties Company

Dave Male Bamboo Rods

New Additions for 2008

Seeker Rod Company

Hook and Hackle

Wheel’s Reels

Flex Coat Company

Acid Rod

Visual Wrap

By mid June I'll have the website updated with firm commitments but I do not expect this list to change very much. A few may be replaced and a few more added, but overall we're looking at an increase in vendors again in 2008.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2007 02:36PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2008 ICRBE Vendors
Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 01:32PM

Tom, Instead of Steve's Custom Rods don't you mean Scott's

Date: April 18, 2007 02:22PM

Yes, sorry. I'll fix it now.

I left a few others and I'll put them in now as well.

It's looking like another full house. We might even need that additional 40,000 square feet across the hall for more rod building stuff if things keep going like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2007 02:27PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Ken Carlson (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 18, 2007 04:47PM

Impressive list. Good to see you getting an early start. Time flies as we grow older.

Believe it or not, another group hosting a supposed rod building event this summer is keeping their vendor list a secret. I didn't understand the reasoning behind that and when I asked if they could let us know who their vendors were they removed the question and banned me from accessing their site ever again. Why would any show promoter get mad at you just for asking who their vendors are going to be?? Unless they don't have any vendors, maybe??

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 04:55PM

Ken,

I was also permanently banned from their site for posting a response to your question. I guess it's supposed to be a surprise!! The only way to find out is to pay

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 18, 2007 05:18PM

Guys,

The topic here is regarding the 2008 International Custom Rod Building Exposition. Not any other event.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 18, 2007 05:34PM

Has there been any decision made about adding a tag along general fishing or fly show with the rod builders show next year? Not really a big deal to me as there are plenty of fishing shows around, just wondering in advance. I'll return either way.

Date: April 18, 2007 06:27PM

I've had inquiries from several general and fly fishing show promoters about joining us in 2008. However, I am less and less inclined to add another show to what we’re currently doing. I’ll explain.

For the first three years, we held our show in conjuntion with the Fly Fishing Show in Charlotte, NC. On some counts this surely helped us. At least that’s what I’ve thought all along. Now, I’m not so sure. In 2007, on our own, we drew a larger crowd, had a better show and all the vendors reported the best sales figures they’ve ever had. In short, when done as a stand-alone event, we had a better event than when done in conjunction with another event, on all accounts.

Adding more general interest fishermen to our event does not necessarily improve anything in terms of the actual rod building emphasis. Sure, I want to see more fishermen there to buy custom rods from the rod builders who display there. However, the number of fishermen who buy custom rods is a very tiny percentage of the overall fishing market. Putting a thousand or more additional general interest fishermen into the hall might not generate more than one or two custom rod sales. And... it would mean longer lines at the concession area, more traffic in the hall, greater drain on our resources, possible parking problems, etc.

Sure, adding another show would put more money into my pocket - I charge $8 a head so more people through the door is good for me. But it may not necessarily be good for the Rod Expo, the rod building attendees or the rod supply vendors. My goal in doing all this is to provide something special for custom rod building. I have no interest in hosting general interest fishing shows. There are things to be done insofar as getting more customers for the rod builders into the hall and we have some things underway at this time that I think will be very productive. But if we’re going to have general interest fishermen there, I want them to be potential rod builders or potential customers for custom rods. Not tire kickers just filling the rod building hall. (No offense to general interest fishermen - I am one.)

I know everyone has an opinion on how best to handle things but I’ve done this for 4 years now and each event has been very successful and each one better than the one before. I know what I’m doing and have decided to keep the emphasis on custom rod building. I’ll add or remove whatever is necessary to make the rod building event better. After all, custom rod building is what it’s all about.

What I’d like to do, is use that additional 40,000 square feet for more rod building “stuff.” I have the entire building leased and opening up that additional hall only costs me what it costs the Showplace to light and heat it, and put up the booth walls and provide the extra security (about $5,000 additional above what I’m already paying). If I could justify it, I’d certainly do it. It’s early yet and nothing has been ruled out. Maybe RBI will want to host their yearly meet here. Maybe I’ll have enough additional exhibitors that we’d need it for that. We’ll see what happens as we move on through the summer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 06:46PM

Sorry, Tom!! I know better!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 09:42AM

That "other" group says their show is going to be the "largest gathering of dedicated custom rod builders ever assembled." I wonder about the truth of that!

Date: April 20, 2007 10:05AM

It's not true in any way. It's a deception; a prevarication; a play on words - "dedicated."

The last ICRBE event had over 1500 verified custom rod builders attending. No one who was actually there will dispute that number - we have the figures to back it up. The last national event held by the group you mention drew less than 60 rod builders according to at least two of the vendors that were on hand there. Compare for yourself, 1500 against 60. Which would you say is the larger gathering? As far as which group was more "dedicated," you'll have to judge that for yourself.

Either way, it doesn't change the facts - the International Custom Rod Building Exposition is the world's best attended event for custom rod builders, and by a wide, wide margin. It's also the very largest, with 40 vendors on hand last year and nearly 50 already commited to attend in 2008.

I don't have to use word play nor any sort of deception in promoting the ICRBE. The world's rod builders know it for what it is and they attend in droves.

Posted by: Robert Bootski (---.smart-dns.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 08:54PM

Interesting! I asked about the vendor list of this conclave thing and was almost immediately banned from the site. What gives? Something is not on the up and up I'd say.

Date: April 21, 2007 09:04AM

That's not my event. Mine is the International Custom Rod Building Expostion. Ask anything about it you wish and I'll be happy to provide an answer. You can visit the website for more information, although it will be mid-May before I get everything ready for the 2008 event. www.rodexpo.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster