I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat
Posted by: Tom Gendreau (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 10:00PM

Last year I built a couple of stand-up rods and experienced stress cracks at the top two or three roller guides after giving the rod a good flex. While flexing the rod it sounded like the whole blank was cracking.

Has anyone else had any similar exprience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 10:45PM

It sounds like you did not prep the guides by beveling the feet so the wrap could make a even transition from blank to the guide foot. I would almost bet you have a bump on the wrap from where it goes from blank to guide foot. How about finish
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 10:49PM

Or, could be that the guide foot tunnels weren't filled with finish.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: edward torres (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:01PM

Tom if you don't mix product A and B correctly you'll definitaly get a cracking sound and most likely start to show milky like after a while. I'm uncertain on which bottles or tubes if thats what was used(syring) to mix the finish, if this is the case purchase the 1/2 stroke pumps works great on 32oz bottles. Hope this helps.

Rod, Reels and 18 wheels.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:06PM

Mark did a great job explaining the spiral wrapping concept. At the Woodland rod gathering
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:39PM

If you used chrome roller guides I think what you are experiencing is the plating on the guides cracking under the stress of being bent. No cause for alarm and it will go away after a couple of trips and fighting a few fish. I've had it only happen to me every time I use chrome or the gold plated rollers but never the black ones..

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.73.42.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:45PM

It has nothing to do with the brand of finish. Poor guide prep, low thread tension, gaps in the tunnel (which I personally believe can be mitigated in large part by decent guide prep) and too much finish at the web, can all contribue to cracking, no matter what you are using.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2007 08:59AM

Lance is correct - it's the guide plating that you're hearing. The blank has now become a sounding board for the noise so it's much more noticeable. It is of no consequence other than being slightly annoying or worrisome until you get used to it. After a bit of time it will go away.

Cracks across the guides at the feet area in those portions of the blank that undergo deep flexing are quite common. It's not the fault of the finish. We're dealing with a blank that flexes and a guide that doesn't want to, or at least doesn't want to as easily. Movement occurs and something has to give a bit. Usually that's the finish.

Creating a really shallow taper on the edge of the guide foot can help quite a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2007 09:00AM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster