I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The kindness of a stranger
Posted by: Jan Mikula (58.165.187.---)
Date: April 15, 2007 04:39AM

G'day all,

There is not much in life these days that leaves me gob-smacked but today was one one of those rare treats.

I was at work and a bloke came in asking for me. Our juniour Chris came in and told me old mate was out the front and had a heap of rod building gear. I went out and saw a couple of big containers and a top section to a rod. Yep being cynical as I am (too many bad experiences with customers over the years) I thought he wanted me to repair his rod with some of the threads and guides he had so as to keep the cost down.

Anyway I got talking to him and he had seen my name on the Ausfish website and put 2 & 2 together and figured out where I worked. He used to build rods as well but he doesn't see as well anymore. While we were talking I kept looking at all the thread that was in the containers and thought man thats a nice selection. Most of them were unused 950yd spools of Gudebrod NCP thread, about a dozen or so metallic threads, a heap of guides, a full set of new Aftco big foots, a couple of 5000yd spools and the list goes on.

I told him I would get his rod done for him (believe it or not I wasn't going to charge him anyway as he was a nice bloke and I felt bad that he couldn't do what he enjoyed anymore) and then bugger me, you could have blown me down with a feather. He told me the threads etc were mine to have as he was happy that I could make good use of them. As I have said it takes a bit to surprise me but old mate has done more for me than just giving me over 60 spools of thread etc. He has given me back my faith in human kind and I truely thank him for that.

I hope that one day when I eventually stop rod building I can pass on my gear like he did to someone who appreciates it as much as I do.

Cheers, Jan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The kindness of a stranger
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: April 15, 2007 08:10AM

That's pretty cool. My neighbor here in Japan about five years ago did the same thing. I was giving them some fish here and there, then one day he tells me he's getting older and hasn't fished in years, and gave me all his fishing gear. Much of it was dated and not the highest quality, but the gesture really shocked me. In the mix was one baitcast reel, which I used a couple of times and then passed onto a friend who was in desperate need of a new reel.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 08:29AM

Jan
Build the guy a nice rod as a thank you.

Posted by: Matthew Cederquist (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 15, 2007 09:53AM

I had a simular thing happen with some fly tying equipment. My Uncles father-in-law pased away and left his wife with 2-3'x3'x3' boxes of flytyng materal and equipment. My uncle ended up aquiring this stuff and was trying to find a home for it. He doesnt fish nor does his kids. He calles me up to see if my boys and I can put this to use. Of course he tells me its a bunch of junck and its probably no good. Well lone behold there were several #1 neck hackels and antique vises in the mix and I have so many top grade feathers now I dont now what to do with them. Some day they will be used to teach my childeren to tye excelent flies in honer of a man that gave the material to me that I never met.

I've hunted and fished almost every day. The rest have just been wasted.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 12:18PM

Wonderfull!! Jan,

I believe I'd build that feller the best dang rod I could build him PERIOD. Not for the threads, but for the MAN he is!

DR

Posted by: Chris Herrera (216.215.19.---)
Date: April 15, 2007 05:59PM

Y'know, a good friend of mine recently did just this. He figured that he would not be building rods anymore, and told me that he would give me the majority of the supplies that he had left.

I told him that I would appreciate this, very much.

When he gave the items to me, it hit me. He was giving me his rodbuilding hobby, that had been with him for many years. I was very choked up, and still get that way even now. I am not afraid to admit that tears welled up in my eyes.

This is one of the greatest gifts that I have ever received. Not only because of the items, but because of what giving them to me meant. I don't even want to think of the time when I finally give up rodbuilding, but when I do I will try to be as gracious as my good friend.

I want to say thanks, to Ray Arnhold.

Chris Herrera

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 10:41PM

I am proud and humbled to give my rendition of this subject. First I want to mention, a lot of the rodbuilders on this board are exactly like these that have been mentioned. In May of 2004 I had to quit working because of Diabetes and Arthritis in my spine. While fighting for my disability benefits (some of you folks know what I mean by fighting) I was desperately seeking a way to get some income for my wife and I. I decided to try repairing / refurbishing fishing rods. I didn't even know where to begin, so I started searching the internet and found this forum. I posted, and explained my dilemma, and that I had no money to buy supplies. Some didn't buy it and admonished me for trying to get free stuff. They know who they are. Since then they have learned that I was being truthful, and have become valued colligues and friends. Back to my point: Others never asked any questions and emailed me direct and sent me everything I needed to get started, and they know who they are. I promised them that, when I got some money in, I would replace evrything that they had sent me. Each and every one declined my offer to replace what they had given me. They stated that they may need something sometime. When they do, I hope I'm the first one they contact. This should tell you what kind of people frequent this awesome forum. It was done for me, so I would not hesitate to do it for anyone else. Sorry for the long post Tom, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell my story and thank EVERYONE who contributed to me, and still contribute their knowledge to this forum.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster