I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizing on a simple spiral.
Posted by: Al Layton (---.lns1.syd7.internode.on.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 07:40PM

G'Day guys.
After much procrastinating I have finally decided to bite the bullet & try a spiral wrap.
I've read that a good start is to use traditional guides & spacings & rotate all but the 1st guide.
As I'm rebuilding my favorite 6kg (14lb or so) 5'6" snapper rod I used the same guide size & spacing to begin.
Guides were Fuji BSVLG 16, 12, 10, 8, 8, 7,7, 7, 7 tip

After a little messing around I'm thinking I'd be better to change to 16, 10, 8, 7,7,7,7tip simply because the 12 was giving me a greater distance to transition from one side of the blank to the other.
I've got this set up taped into place & it certainly looks better to my eyes.
Am I on the right track here or have I missed something?

2nd question,
Bumper guide size, Is there a rule of thumb for bumper sizing?
I would have thought the smaller the better to reduce the line distance from the blank but how does this effect the line choking from the stripper to the 2nd guide?
I have an 8 sized bumper currently but I'm concerned about it choking the line too much.
Once again, am I on the right track or am I thinking too much?

I hope to do some cast testing tomorrow with it which should give me some answers, but I thought I might ask for opinions from the guys with experience.
Regards.

Al Layton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2007 07:47PM by Al Layton.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizing on a simple spiral.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2007 10:06PM

You really, really need to read the article on the Simple Spiral.

You will never "choke" the line with something as large a #8 guide. You could fit 100lb test through that ring easily.

You don't need multiples of all those different guide sizes. Most likely you'll be fine with 16 (or 12) and the 7's on out. Kick out all the in-between sizes. They don't do anything for you or your line. I'd make the Bumper guide a very low frame guide. Ring size isn't that important but generally the smaller the ring, the closer the guide sits to the blank.

Remember, the bumper guide isn't part of the guide spacing - it's an addition to it. You need to understand this to get it positioned properly. It should fall halfway between your first two guides and sit at 90 degrees. The first two guides should not be more than about 9 or 10 inches apart and the bumper goes in-between those.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 03:04PM

Yeah, I think you are on the right track swapping the 12 for a 10. But did you try an 8 in there, as you already have for your next 180? You mention choking, but I guess I don't see the point. The rod blank itself limits you with the line crossing it.

Basically, the closer the line rides the guides to the center of the rod blank, the easier the transition and better the loading characteristics. Apply that thought to all guides, from the stripper thru the 2nd 180. And for the bumper as well. For the Stripper and bumper, it isn't the ring size that determines that height, so much as the design of the guide. For the 180's the ring size and the design of the guide come into play. Think about where the line rides in the ring and measure/estimate from that.

From what I've seen in measurements, if you want the lowest guides and you can use them strength-wise, the single and double foot fly guides are the lowest made. In general tho, stay low to the centerline by design and you better your results. So long as you leave yourself enough hand/grip clearance on the stripper anyway.

Date: April 16, 2007 06:03AM

Thanks guys.
I've totally redone the rod to use BNLGs with 16 stripper & all size 7 180s.
I used an 8 as a bumper as the local tackle shop ran out of 7s but the line passes very close to the blank & there doesn't seem to be any side load on the bumper at all when loaded so I guess it's doing what I need it to.
The line lay is good & test casting went well.
The stripper loads a little more than I'd like & the 1st 180 loads a little less than I'd like but it is certainly acceptable & much better than it was before.
The stripper to 1st 180 is a fraction over 9" so I can probably move the stripper back a little bit to even up the load. Alternatively I can go down to a 12 stripper but to my eye it looks too small for the ABU 6500 I'll be using with this rod.
I'll have another play with it when I have time.
I appreciate your advice guys, Thank you.
Regards.

Al

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:54AM

Sounds good.
If that ABU reel is a levelwind, then you have no concerns at all on a smaller stripper, as the levelwind already has you constrained. If not a levelwind, run 2 lines thru your guides and attach one on top of the line at the extreme left of your spool, and the other to the extreme right. That angle will give you a good clue as to the usable ring size for the stripper, as well as the height. And of you have narrowed down your stipper choices and have them inhand at the time, string the lines thru them and well. By sliding them along the blank, you can then nail down the placement for height and size.

**edit** --- actually even if a levelwind you can do the same thing with the levelwind at extreme left and right positions. Just that the levelwind already constrains your casting line movement off the spool anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2007 10:08AM by Dave Hauser.

Date: April 19, 2007 06:35AM

Thanks mate.
Work's been killing my building time this week but I'll be having a look at the rod this weekend again.
I appreciate the advice you guys have given.

Al

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster