I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best handle for jigging rod
Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 10:30PM

I am building on a 5' 9" St. Croix SC5 . The rod will be used for vertical crappie fishing. I prefer a natural cork Tennessee handle with the reel taped on ,but I want to try something different, maybe use a reel seat with burl or maybe a Tennessee handle with exotic burl. Does any one have any non-natural cork and/or reel seat suggestions that will closely match the
performance (sensitivity) of natural cork. If I go with exotic burl how much performance loss can I expect .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best handle for jigging rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 10:57PM

Don,
You could try making the grip like in the RM article, but use 1/4 inch exotic cork instead of poker chips. It's a lot denser than cork so it may give similar results to the chips as far as reel foot crush resistance to the standard cork. I haven't tried it though.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 05, 2007 11:12PM

Don,
As you add mass the sensitivity of your rod will go down. The burl cork is about 3 times as heavy as natural cork and the exotic burl cork is roughly 4 times as heavy as natural cork. How much you will decrease the sensitivity will depend on how much of it that you use, how much mass that you add, but your best bet in terms of sensitivity is to use natural cork and epoxy it directly to the blank without any backing like masking tape. You also want to use as light weight reel as practical.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 05, 2007 11:34PM

The current issue of RodMaker Magazine [RMM-10-(1) 2007-FEB] has at least one if not four of its feature articles this month dealing with UL's, Tennesee Handles & Sensitivity.

How much performance difference there is between your choice of materials is somewhat a matter of opinion. See Mark Gibson's values for a single material at [.*?*.] and Emory Harry's "Sensitivity" Article in RMM-10(1):28-31. Vibration transmission is also altered & reflected at the discontinuity of the medium.

On page 31 of RMM-10(1), Feb.2007, Emory J. Harry says: "Big surprise, ... CORK that is epoxied directly to the rod blank ... results in the highest sensitivity."

Far too many aspects of this EJH Article are worth considering, but next to impossible to discuss here.

Do an RBO "Search" = SENSITIVITY for the last 90 days, and you will get at least 3 Threads and over 150 Replies to keep you overwhelmed and "glad" you asked such a "simple" question. ... LOL !!!, ... Better to just order the back issue RMM-10(1) for $7 and have the entire subject covered at your finger tips. ... IMO, ... then you can digest it at your leisure. ... HTH, ... Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Graphite, Texalium, Cork Weight
Posted by: Emory Harry ... April 13, 2006 ... 08:06AM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
VIEWS: 524 ... REPLIES: 38
Lots of good contributions from Mark Gibson as well.

Aah, here it is:
[*?*] = "Re: Rod Efficiency vs. foregrip and hook-keeper"
Posted by: Mark Gibson ... November 24, 2006 ... 10:53PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
The degree to which a material will transmit the vibration will depend on both the mass and efficiency of the material. The mass will affect the amplitude of the vibration and the damping factor will affect the degree to which the signal is lost as it travels through the material. The key in rodbuilding is to employ both lightweight, and efficient (low damping) materials when sensitivity is important.

Here is a list of the damping factors of a few typical handle / rodbuilding materials that I measured a few years back. These give a rough idea on how some of these materials rank:
Damping ratios:
Stainless Steel = 0.006 -----> Most efficient
Graphite Composite = 0.01
Fiberglass Composite = 0.02
Thermally Cured Epoxy resin = 0.035
Rigid Urethane shim foam = 0.09
Cork from Struble ring: = 0.15
Hypalon foam from grip = 0.20
RT cured Threadfinish = 1.0 ( may be time dependent)----> Least efficient

Emory, I would make the distinction between rod sensitivity based on materials and design vs. the idea of strike detection. If you hold the rod so that the line is 90 degrees to the tip, you will maximize the effectiveness of the line to transmit a deflection to the rod. That means you need to change the rod angle depending on the location of the lure. Most people do this naturally, without even thinking about it. A rod held level if the lure is straight under as opposed to the tip held high if the lure is much further away, both tend to optimize the line to rod tip angle of 90 deg. The more you point directly at the lure, the more you depend on line properties and tension to transmit vibrations down to the hand. ... Mark Gibson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2007 11:44PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 06, 2007 09:38AM

There is an error in the article on sensitivity that I am embarrassed by but not related to the mass. Basically the higher the mass the more energy it takes to move the mass and the lower the sensitivity.
The error in the article is related to stiffness. I erroneously concluded that the more the rod deflected the more movement that there would be at the fisherman's hand and therefore the higher the sensitivity. In other words the stiffer the rod the poorer the sensitivity. This is wrong. Most of the energy that results in the rod deflecting will be lost to damping. Actually the stiffer the rod the better the sensitivity. This will be explained in the second article.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 06, 2007 03:30PM

Oops! Double Post. Sorry

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2007 03:32PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 06, 2007 03:30PM

I don't have any reg. cork as I rarely (almost never) use it and although the burls are a little heavier, I don't think that it has much effect on the rod. If that is a real concern, just over bore it and use Flexcoat arbors inside. As far as weight difference between the burls go, here are some numbers from Andy Dear from a recent post
"The weights are as follows given equal diameters: Standard Burl Ring: 0.14oz Exotic Burl: 0.18oz" I use a LOT of both types and can't personally tell the difference (after they are turned to the same size. One thing to consider is that the initial exotoc rings are larger than the 1 1/4" reg burl rings. So that would be comparing apples to oranges unless they are identical in size.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster