I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Help
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 07:11PM

I screwed up!!!!!! The finish that I put on some guides has not yet cured and it's been several days. I was useing threadmaster and more than likely I mixed it wrong. Didn't have my glasses on. Now how do I get this stuff off so that I can start over. I have used this finish before and have had good results so I know this was my fault.
Thanks
Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Help
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 08:07PM

Put a thin coat over what you have already just making sure it is mixed properly and you should be fine.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 08:07PM

_

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2007 08:08PM by Mike Sledden.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 08:08PM

Terry, Read the previous posts by using the "search" feature -- plenty of help. This is a popular topic. Bob

Date: April 02, 2007 08:28PM

Thanks for the information

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 08:53PM

Terry,

if the finish is not cureing, putting on a coat over the problem will only seal the problem under the surface, it WONT cure the problem! I dont do it, and dont recommend doing it. If the finish is barely tacky, that MIGHT be a way to fix or better yet hide the trouble.

Take alochol and a coffee filter and wipe off as much as you can from each wrap changing filters OFTEN. Once you get as much off as possible (it doesn't have to be all of it!-just most) let the rod dry 24hours in a warm area.

Now take a properly mixed coat of Threadmaster and apply a thin coat, let that coat cure and repete with another thin coat the next day.

What you have now is a GOOD rod that wont give you problems down the road.

What happens when you ust re-coat a problem is you COVER the problem up. The finish UNDER that never cured, NEVER DOES! it stays soft and the cured finish can peel off the uncured later on...not good!

However.....before you do anything to the rod, I'd let it cure out at least a week. Sticking it in a car with the windows closed up tight and in the sun can help. If you got close on your mix, this may bump the finish over and it may? start to cure...worth a try!!

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2007 09:06PM

If the finish is still completely uncured, you might even dispense with the alcohol and just wipe the stuff off with a gloved finger. It's okay if the wraps are a bit wet to the touch, just overcoat with properly measured and mixed finish and you'll be fine.

If the stuff is partially set and only tacky, then just overcoat what you have now.

Date: April 02, 2007 09:13PM

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your time and knowlege. That's what makes this board top notch.
Thanks again

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 02:40AM

I would send Andy Dear a email.or call Lamar Fishing. You have recieved some good suggestions/
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 01:29PM

The big question is where are you and what is the temp in the room you were working in? Some areas of the country are still quite cool.

Otherwise, follow the instruction above.

Jay

Date: April 03, 2007 04:00PM

I'm in Kansas and it's fairly warm around, 70. The day before I mixed up a batch and it came out just fine. It was my fault in measuring.
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster