I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thanks for the cake and ice cream!
Posted by: Lon Nalder (---.du.pinetel.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:29AM

I can't express enough of my thanks to Tom Kirkman and this rod forum and all you guys out there that contribute to it. I wouldn't be so brave or successful in my rod building if it wasn't for you. Often my wife asks me what I am doing on the computer so long and I tell her I am studying or doing my homework assignment. My current project is about done and I thought I would share it with you because many of you helped me with it. My good neighbor asked me if I would replace the guides his wife's favorite rod.. Without thinking I said yes only to find out that it would be quite a challenge. It was an old 6'9" fiberglass boat rod that only had 2 quides on it and a top. The blank only went halfway into the real seat and the old marred up wooden handle(which was loose) went into the other half. The rod looked like it had been through a war. As we talked about it I told him it needed more guides. A deflection demo and he agreed. He wanted the best SIC guides that would with stand his wife's use. Then he asked if I could shorten the handle and take out some of the nicks. Before we got through we were into completely stripping the blank and refinishing it in a candy apple red with a spiral wrap. Then he through me a curve ball with his wifes giant spinning reel she fishes like a level wind. I spent alot of time on this forum and with your help finally came up with a system that would work for her. Yesterday I taped all the guides on the conventional way and went out and cast it with her reel and 4ozs of weight she uses on it. I was surprised it cast a 125 ft. with that big spinning reel and the #20 guide I put on it to help tame those coils. Then I repositioned the guides in a spiral wrap and casted it again. I don't know if it was just me but I casted it out to 150ft. consistently. The real benefit was reeling it in with that weight on it. No twist with pressure on it. But sitting still that big reel on top would flop over. I then called my neighbor to have him come over and see what I had done to see if it would work for his wife. He wasn't home but she said I'm the one who will be fishing it so I will be there in a flash. I wish you all could have seen her face light up. She described it as "Gorgeous!" The "cake" part. I then had her cast it and she was so surprised that it cast so far. And reeling it up was so much easier. She said some how this just fits her better than ever before. I knew she was excited because she kept saying "one more cast!" The "ice cream" came when she was leaving, saying I can't wait to show the boys my new rod and out fish them! She left me with a little "ice cream" too as I had a little warm feeling welling up inside. Well today I'm off to put on the finishing touches with a feather inlay and her name on it. Thanks again for all of your help and input.
Lon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thanks for the cake and ice cream!
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:52AM

GREAT JOB, LON - Sounds like you really put the meaning of the word CUSTOM into that rod. ... I got a friend whose girlfriend also fishes spinning reels up-side down. ... Whatever works for the ladies and keeps everybody happy is what is best in the larger scheme of things ... She will be your best word-of-mouth advertising you can imagine. ... Get ready for more requests !!! ... Happy Palm Sunday, -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 12:22PM

Excellent Lon !!! That's what it's all about ! Make them happy. And as Cliff said,,When the ladies are happy,thats the best advertisement you can get !

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 01:05PM

Lon this is what this site is all about, sharing the special thanks and perks that come from a job that is well appreciated.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 01:32PM

Lon,

I know the feeling. I get it when I look at the sparkle in a childs eyes when I present them with their own personal rod. I do this for free. I don't have much in them, because they're cast offs that I've rebuilt or broken rods that I have repaired and personalized for them. It gives me a lot of practice, plus serves a very special purpose for me. I explained that in another post.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster