I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Turning tools?
Posted by: Dan Colville (24.75.1.---)
Date: March 20, 2007 04:14PM

Hey guys. What wood turning tools do you prefer for turning your own inserts?

I am looking for size and brand. A make and model would be perfect. If anyone knows a good web site please let me know.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Turning tools?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2007 04:33PM

Crown is a good medium priced tool at a very reasonable price. I keep a roughing gouge, a 3/8 inch bedan, a round nose scraper and... well that's about all I use although I have many others.

Learning to sharpen your tools is every bit as important as the brand you buy. Probably more important.

Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2007 05:19PM

I'd recommend bying a set of benjamins best or harbor freight HSS tools. They really do work well and will give you a good variety to try out. Also great to practice sharpening on without worrying about grinding away an expensive tool. When you know what works best for you and you know how to sharpen it, then buy Crown or Sorby. You can then use the cheaper tools to grind into specialty tools.

For inserts I use a 3/4" roughing gouge and a parting tool. Sometimes I use a skew.

Tony

Posted by: Jason Every (---.area4.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 20, 2007 10:52PM

I would recomend going to a wood working store like Woodcraft. As an experienced woodturner I would reccomend sorby's. They are a little pricey and as I have learned you get what you pay for. The cheaper tools just don't hold their edge like the nicer tools do. Also invest in a sharpening system to keep them sharp.

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 01:17AM

I have a set of Marples tools, they hold their edge well and have nice handles. I believe I bought them through Grizzly Industrial. They are a little less expensive than the Sorby tools. I totally agree with learning how to sharpen the tools. They will get dull after use, especially with burl and harder woods. It has taken me a while to learn how to sharpen scrapers, but boy what a difference in the performance of the tools when the edges remain sharp. Plus there is the pride of learning something new and taking care of your tools so you can enjoy using them for a long time.

Russ

Posted by: Dan Colville (24.75.1.---)
Date: March 21, 2007 10:03AM

Is there certain sizes that you recommend. I have been using these pretty large delta tools that are used for making furniture...I think.

Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 10:33AM

A nice site to visit click on movies [www.robert-sorby.co.uk] quite educational
John

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 09:17PM

I like the Sorby tools the best. They seem to retain their sharpness even on tough wood like walnut, maple, etc. Beware of Delta tools which they claim are made by Sorby. They are not as good as the Sorby's. Good lathe tools are not cheap but you get much better quality tools by paying the premium price and in the long run, will last much longer and be easier to use.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (---.doh.state.fl.us)
Date: March 22, 2007 11:01AM

I went on @#$%& and found a set of unused Craftsman red handled turning tools. They must be at least 25-30 years old and have the best steel and workmanship on any turning tools I've ever seen! I keep looking there for older tools that I need, that type of craftsmanship is seldom found on anything but very high dollar items now. So just another source for you!

Smitty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster