I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do you rough up the blank before applying epoxy?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 06:05PM

The directions to Devcon 2 ton epoxy says to roughen up the surface before applying. In the past I have not but I wonder if a light sanding of the blank might help with the adhesion of the epoxy. Thank Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you rough up the blank before applying epoxy?
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 06:13PM

Look in the library under surface prep and you will get all your answers.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: March 07, 2007 06:25PM

Bill, I have not experienced any handle failures. I avoid conducting any surface prep except for a thorough wiping of a soft cloth dampened with alcohol. The reason I avoid any sanding is to allow me to keep my opitions open should I decide to change components.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 07:15PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 06:52PM

I break the shine of a glossy blank with ex-fine ScotchBrite and do nothing but clean a matte blank. I clean any/all blanks and only break the shine under grips & reelseats. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2007 07:39PM

The best bond will be obtained with a water-break-free surface. All you'd want to do is a very thorough deglossing/scouring of the surface with some Scotchbrite or very fine sandpaper (600 grit or higher). Deep scratches and gouges actually weaken the bond.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 08, 2007 10:17AM

The water-break-free degree of sanding is always the way to go., Am I wrong but, has technology advanced such that this process might not be as effective as it once was with the advent of STAY-PUT epoxies? The old style epoxies were much thinner and closer to the viscosity of water so it could actually be drawn by the proper prep of the mating surfaces..whereas now with them being so thick they produce there own breaks as it were?

Date: March 08, 2007 12:18PM

Not really, the water break free test simply indicates a good surface condition for any epoxy. Granted, some "wet" the surface better than others, but in terms of what we do with fishing rods, most all adhesive specific epoxies will bond more than good enough for our purposes if the surface exhibits a WBF condition.

Date: March 09, 2007 02:03PM

Yes on a prepared WBF mating surfaces where adhesive is applied, my point is the creep to get to other surfaces that might have been inadvertantly missed. I like the notion of the adhesive being aided to self penetrating/spreading drawing to these possible missed locations, aided by the chemical reaction which produces heat and expansion, inhanced by a surface that urges its spreading via an adhesive whose viscosity can more easily spead, might be equally favored to that of one that stays put. No one can debate the fact that these adhesives work where appled to properly preped surfaces, traveling to where they are not is suggestion here. Dark side, it might spread to where you don't want it.

Date: March 09, 2007 04:15PM

If the surface hasn't been deglossed, it won't likely adhere very well.

Date: March 10, 2007 02:19AM

yes a deglossed surface, a given I stipulated too in a previous post. Considering that and concentrating on the difference between the new stay-put thick epoxy, and the old thinner drippy epoxy and how the thin epoxy's has an ability to migrate over this prepared surface (to areas that haven't been coated) while the thick stuff will not? Has not the new thick epoxy negated the ability for the epoxy to self spread over this prepared surface to an area possibly missed in the adhesive application process? While the thin epoxy is able to be drawn by this prepard surface to areas possibly ommited?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster