I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How tight do you make the cork grip? Also Jet mini lathe.
Posted by: Ed Sandifer (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 12:16PM

How tight do you make the cork grip on a pre-made handle fit on the blank? When I drilll/ream out my factory cork handle it can be made very tight or a bit loose on the blank. Do you leave a bit of space for the epoxy? If so, how much movement or space do you leave? I'm afraid my first two handles might have been too tight. I've been careful to try to not make the lower end of the handle tighter fitting than the upper.

Also as a side note, I just ordered the new Jet indexing mini lathe 1014 on Amazon for $189.00 with free shipping. Its not currently available but should ship next month. The price on this lathe seems to change every day on Amazon and sometimes the shippiing is free and sometimes not, but I got a good deal yesterday. I'm looking forward to making my own handles and not having to use the low grade ones I've so far been stuck with.

Thanks, Guys, for all the good answers I've received since starting this hobby last month.

Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How tight do you make the cork grip? Also Jet mini lathe.
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 12:28PM

When I can dry fit mine in position with just the littlest bit of force, I call it good. If it doesn't easily fit where you want it, it's too tight. I'm sure there's a lot more folks than just me who tried to lazy out on the reaming once and had a nice grip explode into pieces while forcing it that last 1/4".

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: March 06, 2007 02:36PM

The thinner the epoxy the better.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Doyle (72.236.238.---)
Date: March 06, 2007 05:58PM

Do as Goldilocks would, "Not too tight, not too loose, but just right." Be aware that during final assembly the Rod Bond or oher adhesive will act as a lubricant, but if too tight, you risk splitting the cork. Also, try to judge where along the inside of the handle it is tightest/loosest and concentrate on reaming the tighest areas. All comes with experience, but that experience comes quickly, it's not really hard.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 06:46PM

Just so tight that it easily slides in place but you can still fee the contact. If not that, then just a little looser than that. Use a two-part epoxy and slide the cork onto the rod, twisting it and pulling it back up just a bit to "coat" both the rod surface and the inside surface of the cork. Another trick is to use a fiel edge toi cut four grooves on the inside (inside the hole) so that the glue has "channels" to move into as you seat the cork.

I missed getting the Jet mini-lathe at the show for $180. I can make my own grips on one of Andy Dear's mandrels, or on the rod itself, but I WANT THE LATHE - just 'cause it's such a cool idea to be able to do stuff on it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 07:16PM

Ed - that is a great price on the new Jet Mini - I got it for $199 with free shipping a few weeks ago from Amazon - it's a sweet lathe. The indexing feature has turned out to be very nice for things like securing the headstock from rotating while I mount a piece of wood in my Nova chuck - that way I only need one of the "tommy bars" to tighten the chuck. I grip the wood that way, then unscrew the indexing nut and finish tightening the chuck with both tommy bars. You will love it. I'm still acquiring tools, etc. but have started turning, just practicing, making sawdust. It's awesome. Now, I'm looking at making bowls, lidded boxes, etc. I suppose I'll probably make pens too, as they are very simple to make and very functional.

The lathe just shipped today, about
Posted by: Ed Sandifer (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 06:29PM

a month earlier than predicted. So no realy delay at present. Now I have to budget for all the extra stuff to use it! My first purchase will be the DVD from Lamar on lathes used in rodbuilding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster