I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IGFA Action Trolling Blanks
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: March 02, 2007 05:14PM

G'day Guys,

Quick question. Are rod blanks that are describes as having an "IGFA" action suitable for standup fishing, in particular for tuna? What sort of action does an "IGFA" blank have?

Thanks

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IGFA Action Trolling Blanks
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2007 06:17PM

Do a search on "standups" on this site with all dates set. You will find the information your need. The simple answer is no!
If you do not locate all you need do a search under the author "Jay Lancaster" all dates and read carefully. The is also the complete story on designing, building and using standups in Rodmaker Magazine. You need to try to figure out a way to get a copy of that magazine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2007 06:19PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 06:29PM

The International Game Fish Assoc. keeps records for fish taken on specific line classes. These are 2,4,6,8,12,16,and 20 for fly fishing tackle and 2,4,6,8,12,16,20,30,50,80,130 pound test line for everything else. If you have a blank that is for IGFA 20 That rod is rated for 20lb test or 10 kilograms which is actually 22 lbs and so forth. The blanks are generally built to be used as trolling rods. They are ok to make a standup rod on but they are a little too long for my taste after you add a uni-butt. Most of the blanks offered to build straight through are 7 foot in lenght which is too long for a standup rod unless you are planning on using the rod rated for 12 or 20 pound class line.

Date: March 02, 2007 08:32PM

Guys,

Thanks for your input.

Bill, I have the Rodmaker article on standup rods. I don't think it mentions IGFA blanks though, hence my question.

Michael, you have I think you have anticipated where I was going with this. I was thinking of using a Batson aluminium butt and their corresponding IGFA blank made to fit it to make a 20lb standup rod. I can see now that that would make a rod that is 19" (butt) + 5'3" (blank) for a total of 6'10", which according to the RM article would probably be giving the fish a bit too much leverage advantage.

OK, I think I'll go back to plan A and get a more suitable blank and build straight through.

I take it then that an IGFA action rod is either super stiff for use from a chair or very slow?

Cheers

Jason

Date: March 02, 2007 08:57PM

OK so I stopped being a slacker and did a search. I can now see why an IGFA blank is not a good standup blank.

Thanks

Jason

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2007 10:02PM

The length is the difference and you do not want something the length of most IGFA trolling blanks for stand up fishing - the fish will have an inordinate amount of mechanical advantage on you.

Actions on IGFA trolling blanks vary, but most are medium. It would be rare to find a very fast action offshore trolling blank (sit down).

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2007 09:45AM

The Pac Bay short tuna blanks wii propably work for you, I use them both for trolling and stand up..they are about 63" with a number 1 aluminum (.740") butt. These have a lot of backbone and stlii flexible enough at the tip for trolling. I use the:
X2ST56HS-B 30-60 2-8 48.5” 1 FAST HEAVY 13.0 0.740” 6.8 (Custom Tackle Supply)

They'll dig up a heavy grouper or amberjack in a hurry,,I'm going to try it on a goliath grouper as soon as the weather gets right.

Smitty

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2007 09:52AM by Walter Schmidt.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 11:48AM

You need to keep two very important things in mind when asking the question at hand. 1) IGFA blanks are 'designed' for fishing from a chair. 2) Stand-up blanks for designed for fishing stand-up. I know that sounds a bit elementary, but it is the truth.

As far as the designation "IGFA" goes on certain blanks...it really has no bearing on certifying a record catch. I believe the only regulations the IGFA has on the rod used for record catches is the butt length and the overall length. Other than that you can use whatever rod type you want.

IGFA blanks (sometimes refered to as RT, or Regulation Tackle blanks) are indeed a moderate action and somewhat long...especially after adding an aluminum butt to them. Fighting from a chair you will be taking long strokes and do not need a fast action blank. Standing up to fight is just the opposite. You will be taking very short strokes on stand-up tackle verses the long strokes you make from a chair. This is why faster action blanks are prefered when stand-up fishing. IGFA blanks are long so that the line comeing from the rod tip can clear the boat gunnels. You don't want to be stuck in a chair with a rod that is so short the line will rub the boat when a fish is close. Hence the longer rods.

I am of the opinion that IGFA blanks do not make good stand-up rods, not only because of the slower action and the initial length of the blanks, but also because of their weight. These blanks tend to weigh quite a bit more than many of the other stand-up blanks on the market.

Can you make an IGFA blank into a stand-up? Sure. Can you catch fish on said rod? Sure. Are there better options? You betcha.

Best of luck.

Jay

Date: March 03, 2007 07:01PM

Guys,

Thanks for the further input. Walter answered what would have been my next question i.e. are there blanks available that are short enough for aluminium butts and also suitable for standup fishing.

Jay,

I didn't know that an IGFA blank was designed for chair fishing. That's probably the question I should have asked, What are they for?

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2007 08:29PM

jason,

You can also cut the butts off of some blanks to fit the uni-butt which keeps the overall length down.

Why do you want to use a uni-butt on 20lbs set up? I would opt for straight thru with either a slick butt (if used for trolling) or hypolon/eva.

I used to be a big fan of uni-butts but have started to build all my rods straight thru except of course if I want a short curved butt (which I don't really like..)

just curious.

Ernie

Date: March 03, 2007 10:49PM

Ernie,

The only reason is that I saw some going very very cheap. I'd be just as happy to build straight through. In some ways I reckon building straight through has to be better as there is a larger range of suitable blanks and I wouldn't have to trim a normal one.

Jason

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2007 08:57AM

Jason

Some of these butts, the "v"-notch and reel seat are not in exact alignment or wobble some. Make sure you check the rod with the reel on to enure that it matches at least to the guides.

A good read on this..

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2007 12:53PM

One of the reasons I like unibutts is I can have 2 or 3 different actions and just replace the rod section. I have a 2 30 & 2 50 reels with 4 rod sections 2 with rollers 2 with turbos,,these 2 butts, 4 reels and 4 blanks give me 2 combos for just about any type of offshore trolling or standup I want to do,,I just keep adding blanks to the arsenal....still using my 2 butts. I don't fish out of a chair so I never need a longer rod. The short ones are actually easier to troll with out of my 23' offshore boat. The butts are heavier,,,but the rods are in the rod holders most of the fishing. I'm propably going to guit building roller guided blanks,,they are really nice when pulling #3 planers at 40' though!

Smitty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster