I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

questions about guide foot prep
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 01:38PM

After using the search feature I found most of the answers to my questions but I still have one more.

I've got some double foot fuji guides that I'm prepping for some surf rods and the feet on the guides kind of curls over at the end of each foot causing the middle of the guide feet to not touch the blank. I've read in Tom's book about filing the bottom of the feet down and I have done some of that but I still have a fairly substantial gap. Is there any way that you guys can think of to try and level the feet on the blank other than grinding them down more? I would try and bend them some but these are some beefy guides with large frames and one of the feet on the guides is made by the two sides of the frame coming together. I really don't want to start bending that foot if it might cause the foot to seperate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: questions about guide foot prep
Posted by: Dave Hauser (129.42.184.---)
Date: February 28, 2007 02:24PM

Myself,,,,, hammer and then grind/sand. Beefy guides should take heavy handling. Bending with a pair of pliers works too, and the other pair of pliers stops the bending stress from going beyond.
Sanding and filing is finish work. And using finishing tools to do larger magnitude tasks is usually not the best path. For instance, say you have a bent steel rod. Are you going to grind and grind it into a smaller straight rod as is, or bend it back in the worst spots to minimize grinding (and end up with more steel in the final result as well).

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 03:50PM

Thanks Dave. I didn't want to start banging away on these until I got some confirmation that I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2007 08:14PM

Proper filing technique usually makes quick work of this type of thing. Get a good file and remember that it only cuts in one direction.

Be careful "hammering" on them - you could loosed a ceramic ring.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 11:29PM

Guess it depends on how outtawhack it is. Certainly over about 1/2 a mm I'd be bending or pounding rather than filing. Taking .5mm off to file flat would darn near take 1/2 the metal off many guides. As the legs are radiused on most, to the eye they look deceptively thicker than they really are. Discretionary use of a little hammer on an anvil horn works very well for me. Then touch up with file on the top and abrasive wrapped dowel underneath..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster