I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gudebrod threads
Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: February 22, 2007 04:04AM

just had a thought.. gudebrod nylon and ncp threads.. what are they made of ? cant be 100% nylon can it? wouldnt it be like monofilament line if it is 100% nylon ?

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gudebrod threads
Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:13AM

Sure, can be 100% nylon. Each fiber being extremely small, with the fibers twisted/bonded into threads, and those threads twisted together to make the final product. There are different nylons, as nylon is a generic name.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:28AM

hmm .. thanks dave... always thought of nylon as sort of monofilament , until i got the madeira

-

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.117.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 02:45PM

There are generally three types of threads:(1) Monofilaments, like fishing line, where the material is extruded in a wire-like fashion. (2) Multifilaments, where the fiber is extruded through very fine holes in a spinneret, and the resulting very thin fibers are twisted together, and (3) spun yarn, where the material is extruded, chopped into short pieces, and then spun into a thread. Natural fibers like cotton can only be spun.
There are some variations, like cabled yarn, where several smaller ones are twisted together. The C&C Trilobal polyester that I use is, I believe, a cabled yarn. Never unravelled Gudebrod to see exactly the construction, but I think it is either a multifilament or a cabled yarn.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.61.---)
Date: February 22, 2007 08:01PM

heh, always had the idea that nylon couldnt 'absorb' water, so didnt really think how CP could change the color of the thread.. i guess it should be filling up the space between all the spun fibers?

-

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 23, 2007 08:13AM

As Dave & Steve, the way a fiber is formed has a huge effect on its physical properties as a single thread (mono- or multi- filament).

Technically, nylon is a poly-AMIDE (not poly-aramide, like super-braid fishing lines), linked by a peptide bond. It is the type & length of the monomers (train cars) that also has a huge effect on the fiber properties. If you care to read some more on nylon polymer chemistry, visit: [en.wikipedia.org] ... Poly-aramides are also linked by peptide bonds (as nylons are), but the monomers are aromatic rings (like benzene and toluene), rather than straight chain hydrocarbons (alkanes, like hexane) like many nylons.

Then once that thread is woven into a fabric, you get an entirely new level of variable properties. Nylon clothing today (especially compared to the nylons of yesteryear) can be as comfortable as fine cotton, or almost as water-proof as Saran Wrap, depending on intended use....

The same principles of variations on a theme are at work in EPOXY chemistry - when the monomer type is changed, the physical properties of the polymer solid can vary greatly. ... Cliff Hall

P.S. - SILK is also a poly-amide, but it is a complex mixture of different monomers. Silk's chemical structure was the inspiration for nylon, and further elucidation of that structure & spinning process was the inspiration for the Kevlar of today's bullet-proof vests. I guess God knew what He was doing when he made the spider and the silkworm! -Cliff Hall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 08:24AM by Cliff Hall.

Date: February 23, 2007 10:59AM

thanks cliff, for the complex explanation!..

10 years back, i would have understood all the terms like peptide bonds, poly-amide , monomers.. or how to identify alkanes and alkenes.. (think its the bonding between the hydrocarbon molecules...)

pity .. 10 years later , working in an industry different from what i studied..

-

Date: February 23, 2007 11:30AM

I wish I knew how the "No Color Preserver"-required NCP-Nylon Thread was treated to produce a non-translucing Nylon Fiber, but I do not. ... I guess a Patent search would give a clue, but I do not know how to do that. Google-it, I guess! ...

A fellow named Paul Black works for Gudebrod up in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA. Whether he is the company President or the janitor, I do not know. Maybe he will see this Post & Replies and shed some light on what is done to Nylon Thread to produce the NCP quality.

Since so much of the American textile industry has been abandoned and sent overseas, maybe we in the USA have forgotten how to maintain for ourselves the very industries that we have taught to the rest of the world. ... Doesn't China make the boots or uniforms that our USA Soldiers wear? ... -Cliff Hall.

Re: Gudebrod News ... Paul Black ... Jan. 16, 2007 03:08PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: February 24, 2007 12:15PM

hi cliff,

not sure how accurate is the link ..

[www.idahorivers.org]

page 32.

-

Date: February 26, 2007 01:07AM

AccordIng to Chris Tanner's reference, Mr. Paul Black is the Co-Owner of GUDEBROD, Inc. -Thanks for that fact-finding, Chris. -Cliff Hall.

Date: February 26, 2007 02:30AM

well,

another site list paul black as the sales manager..

at least we know he aint the janitor!

-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster