I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RBI web site update
Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.239.253.180.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 08:32PM

OK...I got to the hotel for tonight. Tomorrow will be all airplanes and waiting.

I see that the site is still not responding properly. I will check again with the folks back home who are doing the work.

Sorry for the false start. I just wanted you to see this before I left town and probably jumped the gun a little. It will be available soon...any minute now?

Now that I have a few minutes, there is one thing in the posts below that I didn't respond to earlier.

I am not aware that I am competing with anyone. If there is some rivalry, it is one sided from my point of view. As i have said many times, I am not "anti" anything or anyone, I am just "pro" custom rod building. I am simply doing my best to help the craft and our industry. Based on the successes in my past professional life, I believe i can do quite a lot to help establish a strong sense of community and enhance our craft and our profession. I am looking to all of you to assist me in this effort. To do otherwise would be both ridiculous and out of character for me. Together, we can really take this profession to new levels.

I certainly hope that anyone with an axe to grind over my efforts would choose to discuss it with me directly and out in the open. I have no secrets and no ulterior motives. My goals are to assist the profession I chose for my retirement years to the best of my abilities.

Thanks for being patient and supportive.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RBI web site update
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 09:03PM

I see nothing wrong with competition. It is what drives one to excell. In the future it will help all those building and selling rods and perhaps bring wannabe rod builders into the fold benefiting our sponsors as well. Lets look at this venture with an open eye and hope for your success.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 09:55PM

What I see as a positive for Joe is his attitude and clear vision.What many do when faced with someone competing them is focus their efforts on trying to defeat the other party and no where near enough effort on their vision.If someone else is trying to do what Joe is doing they are not very public about or I would have heard about it.Joe is proceding in a mythodical well planned order with an obtainable mission statement with our help.His focus on this wins my support as I can only benefit from the organization.Joe I will see you on Saturday to officially become a member and give you a good luck handshake.Let the vision continue!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2007 10:19PM

Well said. Many people fail in their efforts because they spend too much time worrying about what somebody else is doing instead of focusing their time and energy on what they themselves need to be doing.

Some years ago when faced with a similar situation to Joe's I simply told a competitor that I wasn't going to argue or get into any sort of row with him. I told him that I was just going to make my product better. And I kept my word. It's a winning attitude every time.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 10:32PM

Joe,
You'll get my money/support this weekend. I think that this is going to be great for rodbuilding!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 12:50AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.239.253.180.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 11:19PM

Thanks for the support.

It occured to me that the RBI advertisment is also displayed on my other web site at blackdogtackle.com

Those who want to look at the ad can see it there.

The webmaster is frantically trying to fulfill the promises I made. it keeps her on her toes.

Thanks, Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 01:48AM

Joe I applaud your effort for making an addition to the field. I do not believe you well or are in competition with Tom. What I envision is between the 2 of you, you can fill a void. What one does not address the other can fil. I just received my new issue of RodMaker in it was a excellent article about what you envision your RBI can accomplish. I hope to see your site soon, as of now it is still down.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:42AM

Nice start. The registration payment page does not come up as an https (s=secured?) so I decided to wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 07:31AM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2007 10:41AM

Bob,

I do not mind competition. I wish Joe would start his own RBI magazine. In fact, I've pushed him to do so and would even be happy to help with it.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 03:18PM

Tom like I said, there is room for both, neither one of you can fill all the gaps. With the two of you working towards the same goals all I can see is success for the both of you. As for another magazine that sounds like a great idea. I can remember when the only info out there in book form was Dale Clemens, a small book by Hudder and a pamphlet by Fenwick. At the time these books were adequate. Over the years materials have change and so have the styles of rods so what I see is needed is a up to date information on all facets of rod building. As books go I wish Ralph would put out a book or manual just on rod repair.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster