I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best for the beginner Permagloss or Epoxy?
Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: February 14, 2007 03:44PM

This question has to do with rod finishes for an absolute beginner. I am interested in building my own rods, and since I live in Asheville I plan on coming to the Expo to buy the supplies that I need to get started. It seems from reading the posts here and my own experience building a few rods many years ago that the most difficult part to get right and the easiest way to ruin a perfectly good rod is applying the finish. Would it be easier to get a good finish using Permagloss instead of Epoxy? It seems like not having to mix, and going on in very thin coats would be easier to control. The downside would be having to build up multiple coats. Are there any challenges using Permagloss besides hardening in the bottle? I will be building Bass rods and am mainly interested in light weight and functionality, but of course even if I use simple wraps I want them to look good.

Thanks I look forward to seeing everything and spending some money at the show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best for the beginner Permagloss or Epoxy?
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 14, 2007 04:13PM

epoxy

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 04:19PM

The finished look of Permaglos is different from that of Epoxy. With Permaglos you will have a much thinner finish unless you put on a lot of coats but it's tougher than the Epoxy. If you like the look then I would say it's easier and faster. If you don't like the look you can always put the Epoxy over it.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 04:34PM

There is a seminar at 11am on Sunday by Ralph O'Quinn on epoxies and finishes. Plan on attending and make your life MUCH better.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 05:49PM

Mike, I like and use two-part finishes and PermaGloss. I you are only building a rod or a few rods, pick one and stick with it. If you think you'll build more and often, try out several.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 06:56PM

Expoxy. Sevferal brands: LS (by Trondak), Flex Coat, and what I should have listed first, ThreadMaster. Each one has a different look when dry and cured, and the look will change a bit when you apply a second coat as well.

Try them. Seriously, get a set of small bottles of each and try them, one at a time. Follow the directions (I know that sounds like something I shouldn't have said, but I don't mean it in a less than respectful way, it's just that a lot of folks think they know stuff and then complain when the finish doesn't work because you skipped something in the directions).

Uncle Russ
Calcio Creek Rods

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 09:02PM

I think Permagloss is not appropriate for a beginner. I do like one coat of Permagloss over CP then epoxy. IMO one needs to learn how to work with Permagloss before use it as a "finish only"

Ed Smith

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:58AM

"...Permagloss is not appropriate for a beginner...".

I'm curious why? This makes me wonder if there's something I might have missed - a problem just waiting to happen maybe? I started with epoxy and later switched to PG. I sometimes think I woulda been better off if I never messed with epoxy. The PG certainly goes on thinner which I happen to like, and requires a bit of special packaging/handling, but is there something else "the beginner" should be aware of?

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 08:44AM

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely make the finish seminar. I had kind of forgotten about the seminars since I found out that I had a tournament on Saturday, but the basic building and finish seminar should be 2 hours well spent.

No offense about the reminder to follow the directions, that is a pet peeve of mine too. I am an engineer and in the past have had to write instructions for things that I designed. Later it is frustrating when people call up with problems that are spelled out in excruciating detail in the instructions.

I look forward to the show, I can’t think of a better way to get started.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster