I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip top ring size
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (194.239.239.---)
Date: February 08, 2007 03:23AM

I need a little insight. I'm building a CD rods XLS 8 weight using Recoil guides - dbl foot # 16 and 10 and then # 3 snakes for the rest. For the tt I wanted to use the Recoil but didnt like the way they attached the ring to the tube (leaving a sharp tube end near the ring for the line to rub) so I bought a Fuji titanium tt but could only get one with a ring # 7 which I must admit looks kind of small compared to the # 3 snakes.
Now I'm going to try it of course but in your experience - is it too small for 8 weight lines and will I encounter problems due to the decrease in size from the snakes to the tt (no shooting heads - no knots apart from attaching the leader) ?

Thanks
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip top ring size
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 05:33AM

I try to match the loop size and height off the blank, of the tip top to the guides that preceed it. Snake guides are a bit tricky as you need to sight down the barrel that is formed by the guide and then match that I.D. dimension. I might consider an Ultra light tip top as the ceramic ring sits down closer to the blank much like the loop on a traditional fly loop tip top. I've seen a few in the catalogs that have a sz 7 ring, but you'd have to sight out a sz 3 snake to know for sure that it is compatable, and that UL creamic tip-top with a size 8 might be a special order, or you'll have to look around for it, or the Mfg's may not make one as an 8 ring might be to big for an UL situation. Even knots pass thur a sz 7 ring fairly easily and if there is a sight downsizing of the I.D. from snakes to tip top, it won't make too much difference in casting distance if any, where it might effect you is if cold weather fishing and icng up becomes an issue, you will need to deice more frequently

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2007 09:20AM

You can always use a larger ring, albeit it may have a tube that is just a little too large. In that case,build up the blank tip with a layer of thread. Or, wrap on a single foot ceramic guide for use as a tip top.

Date: February 08, 2007 10:37AM

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that is was the TLST I ordered and it seems that the largest ring size is the # 7.
When looking through the snakes the tip top ring is smaller in diameter - but should the tip top ring have the same inside diameter as the snakes (or larger) ? What will happen when the tip top ring diameter is smaller than the snakes ?
Tom - you say that I can always use a larger ring, but is it nessesary for an 8-weight line ?
If I want one with a larger ring is it correct that the TFST is the only option if I want titanium ?

Thanks
Peter

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 02:14PM

By a tip I.D. not matching the preceding snake guide in I.D. or height the very tip may be preloaded more that it otherwise would be with a matching I.D. tip. The ring size should be determined by the size of the line and corresponding knots or connectors that will be expected to pass through the opening. This should determine the smallest guide you can use to run out to the tip and match the tip. Tom did say to go bigger is no problem and I'd say matching is no problem either. He specifically did not say that going smaller was necessairly a good thing so it is probably not recommended. The smaller you go in a ring I.D. the more surface area the ring actually contacts the fly line, or this tighter arc can grab a knot or connector (given a specific series of guides) There is a difference in friction but it would be very nominal. sz 8 ceramic ring will most assuridly pass any any knots in an 8wt. fly. If no knots or connectors then 7's would do and still would passs knots effectively, the trick is to make the I.D.'s match, running to tip top I.D.'s that is.

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 08, 2007 04:50PM

I've always used the heat stick glue until my last build. I simply got tired of tips working loose at the most inappropriate times. I used on my last build 5 min epoxy. But I must confess, I hate to think of what could happen should I ever need to replace that tip cause it is on there brother. Its only a 4.5 .

Date: February 09, 2007 02:24AM

Thanks Chris - I guess I'll try different tip tops and se how it turnes out :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster