I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip top replacement
Posted by: doug ellefson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 04:08AM

I have an ice fishing rod that needs the tip top replaced. I've built several rods but this will be me first "repair". Any tips on how to remove the old tip top?
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip top replacement
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 07, 2007 08:57AM

Most factory tips are adheared with a heat activated ferrule cement, put something through the ring so you can pull on the tip at the same time heat the tip with a flame. Stay off of, and well away from the blank witrh the flame. Apply a good pulling force you want the tip to break free as soon as possible, heat is not good for a blank at this juncture in its existance. You can buy ferrule cement and reattach the new tip. using heat once again to melt the cement, (I pre load a few varing size tip barrels with ferrule cement melting it well down into the barrel so I can still check the fit of the existing blank and carry these in my tackle box just-in-case) Lots of ppl use epoxy and I might for saltwater applications but for lighter freshwater ice fishing sick with the cement that is easily removable with moderate heating

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 10:52AM

I generally use 5 min epoxy whidh I feel gives a better bond and can also be removed with heat. In a pinch, I will use the hot melt rod glue.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2007 11:36AM

Flame if you have to, but a heat gun has more safety margin. I have been using a heat gun with a soldering attachment that makes it easier to heat all around the guide easier. Better to start with lower heating and work up from that until it comes free. I just grab it and twist it off with a rag in my hand.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 07, 2007 01:11PM

heat until it comes off but dont go nuts with the heat

i use the tip top adhesive from flexcoat and it works fine just heat the stick let it drip into the tip...when you ready to put it on the rod heat the tip up a little and slide the top on

though i think mikes suggestion with the 5 min epoxy might be better as you dont need the heat to put it on and might be better for the blank

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 07, 2007 07:10PM

The heat used in application of a ferrule cement is marginal compared with the heat necessary to remove an epoxied tip. I generally stick with ferrule cement and if a client has a problem with the tip coming off, I will then use epoxy, but up until then I won't chance overheating the blank. If a persisting problem presents itself, I fix it. I will go as far as to ask what cement the customer might want (explaining the options/drawbacks and bonuses, I also supply an extra tackle box tip-top in case one loosens while in use) Now as I say, if your building a musky rod or Heavy duty salt water rod then the extra strength epoxy gives is worth the trouble, as the forseeable repeated replacement, due to the barrel loosening might become an issue...I then stress a stronger adheriance method..BUT when employing the "wait and see what happens method" for something to become an issue.... with the initial use of ferrule cement does not jepordize the blank. I have yet to hear of a production rod Mfg using epoxy, although a sound thought in some applications. and they might well be already as I work mainly with freshwater UL rods, but still fish for big quarry, relitive to the outfit and recommended pound test..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster