I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide size for 7wt.
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 12:35AM

I'm going to build a 4pc. 7wt and use all single foot ceramic guides. Is the 7wt the size when you would move up to a #16 stripper? Or, stay with the #12?
I was thinking:
#16, 12, 8, 7's the rest of the way.
Thanks,
Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide size for 7wt.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 12:45AM

I think if your using a singlefoot stripper it should be tall enough to work with a 12. The rod will tell you what it needs on your test casting session. Something like spin 12, spin 8, than 7s would than work probably.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 12:57AM

Yes, they would be the Fuji titanium framed Concept spinning guides down to the fly guide runners.

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (195.39.166.---)
Date: February 04, 2007 05:22AM

Hi Todd,

I would start with a #16 stripper and not below. I think a #12 would be simply too small for a class 7 line.

Rgds,
Ole

Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 12:33PM

Something to consider - size 16 concept guides start to get really tall for a fly rod. I don't have experience with 7wts, but I've built a number of 6's and to me a 12 seems fine. It really depends on what type on knots you use. Large loop-to-loop knots may demand a size 16. In that case I'd be using a traditional double foot, and I'd probably even add a tamer guide-- on a 7wt you'll never notice the weight difference.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 02:45PM

12s will be plenty big. I have a Perigee 6/7 that I fish with a 7 wt. type 5 full sink line and big lead-eyed dish-rag streamers. The stripper is a TYSG12, followed by TYSG10, TYSG10, then TLSG8, and TLSG7s to the tip. It doesn't take much work to shoot the entire 90 ft. of fly line, when the need arises. The TYSG12, TYSG10, and second TYSG10 are all 4" apart.

I'm not sure what good a sz. 16 guide would do for you. Even if you're using big knots, the running guides will catch on the knots before the stripper ever will. You can test cast with a sz. 16 and see if you get any extra distance, but I'd be surprised if you do. In fact, while you're test-casting, see what happens when your stripper is a TYSG10 or a TLSG10. Commonly, I've found that dropping one or two guide sizes from the factory "norm" doesn't cut down my casting distance in the slightest.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 09:09AM

This is a question that comes up offten enough that I realize most custom rod builders use different stripper guides and running guides on the same blank. If you ask 50 people you will receive 50 different combinations and 50 different reasons way they do it that way. In my shop I do not use a stripper less than a size 20 high frame on any fly rod 4 weight and above. The series of all guides would be Fuji gold cermets or titanium framed SIC in sizes 20, 12, 10, in doubled footed or single footed spinning guides, then sizes 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7 single footed ceramic fly guides to match strippers, then the tip. There are no rules you have to follow for fly rod guide sizes just your gut feeling of what's right and wrong. If you want a factory style or traditional style rod go with the smaller sizes if you want a progressive style rod of a rod that pushes the envelope go with the bigger sizes. This is one of the reasons they call what we do "custom" rod building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster