I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Report from Charlotte
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 06:07PM

Went down to Charlotte today to attend the Fly Fishing Show. Mm... Mm... Mm..., what a difference a year makes. I counted maybe 40 to 45 booths. Some were actually empty like companies decided not to show up. The atmosphere was very subdued, almost like a funeral. Heard more than a few people lamenting the loss of the rod building show and the impact it had on this year's show. There just wasn't hardly anyone there. No ticket line and no waiting for restrooms or drinks. I guess that's good but it said alot about the attendance. $6 to park and $14 to get in. And the place looked like a barn with cheap drapes hung to hide the water damaged walls and stained floor.

It took me about 25 minutes to get around and see everything there was to see. Went around a second time to see if I'd missed anything. I didn't.

Any body who thinks the rod building show won't be missed from that event needs to take a hard look at what's left now that the rod building show is gone from there. It wasn't pretty. I enjoy fishing shows and go to as many as I can, but for $20 admission and an hour and half drive both ways I feel like it was a totally wasted day. If you're going have fun but lower your expectations considerably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 06:09PM by Danny Bundy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Report from Charlotte
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2007 06:39PM

I was there from about noon until 2PM this afternoon. I don't think it was as bad as all that. Surely a fewer companies and booths than last year but still a good showing. This is the first year in several years that it's been open on Friday. So opening day being different from last year might have been part of the reason that attendance was off. I would imagine that it will pick up tomorrow.

Obviously many of the vendors are not happy that the rod building event has moved on. They know what it meant to them in terms of extra attendance, but more than anything, I'd agree with you that the $6 parking and $14 admission fee keeps people away. That's just too much for any sort of sportsman's show. The average guy just won't pay it. And if you don't pack the hall with attendees, the vendors won't be happy.

I didn't think the hall looked too bad. Depends on what you're looking for. I was there for the fly fishing gear so I didn't notice the walls or the floor too much. Lot's of people use the Merchandise Mart for their events so it seems to be good enough for the purpose for which it's intended. We nearly put the Rod Expo there but went with the Showplace for a variety of other reasons. True, the rod building show this year will be larger than the fly event and in a far nicer facility, but all in all I didn't think it was as bad as you make it out to be. They still have their seminars and tying personalities. The show just looks a bit different this year.

On another note, while there I spoke with Shannon Oyster, wife of bamboo rod builder Bill Oyster, and she informed me that Bill has just received a commission from former President Carter for a one of a kind $10,000 Oyster bamboo rod. The rod will be used by President Carter during the next year and then @#$%& off. Bill has also started doing his own engraving and it's quite nice. Bill and Shannon are going to try and make it to the Expo in two weeks so you guys interested in that sort of thing can talk to them about it at the show.

Re: Report from Charlotte
Posted by: Bill Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 08:08PM

I just returned. I was completely underwhelmed. Those I talked to said they did not think this show can survive with out the rod building portion and that this is probably the last year it will be held.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster