I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip-Top Specs v. Actual
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.propel.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 07:14PM

If you ordered a blank (a 12' 6" surf heaver) that lists the tip-top as size 12, and it arrives but proves to take a 9.5, what would you think and do? This has just happened, and I worry that the blank is going to be seriously underpowered for the intended applicaiton (throwing 8 N Bait).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip-Top Specs v. Actual
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 07:45PM

Listed as a 12 and you got a 9.5? My first guess is that someone goofed on the pull order or it was listed in the cataloge wrong. That's just me.

The rest of your question I can't help you with. Sorry

Jay

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 08:00PM

Something very similar happened to me a few years ago. My son wanted his own fly rod and we looked at a well known name brand rod in a local sporting goods store that also had access to rod blanks. We ordered a 9' 5wt two piece blank in the same model as the finished rod. When the blank came in, labeled 9' 5wt, I looked at the tip section and noted that it was very, very thin. So I brought a micrometer to the store and measured the finished rod tip, then the tip of the blank (accounting for the tip top) I found that the blank’s tip diameter was 2/3 the diameter of the finished rod tip.

I requested that the shop order another blank, which they did, and the rod manufacturer representative refused to provide one. I bought someone else’s blank and never dealt with the original company again. That may have been a harsh reaction, but I didn’t believe they had much concern for customer satisfaction.

Mike's add below is a good one. If you received the wrong blank, request the correct one. If it is the correct blank, and you're concerned about the smaller tip diameter, request that the vendor select one that is closer to the original specification.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2007 09:55PM by Jeff Shafer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 09:43PM

Before I did anything, I would check with the vendor and make sure it's the right blank (mistakes happen)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2007 10:58PM

Shouldn't vary by more than about 1/64th at most. Check with the manufacturer to ensure they haven't changed the design or that there isn't a mis-print in the catalog specs.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 11:34PM

Have picked up 3 blanks myself recently,,,,, each one was 1 to 1.5 sizes under the specs for the tip. I measured about 1 inch down from the very end as well, or about tip tube depth. At 2 inches down it starts looking like the spec tip size.

So it is possible they leave them a little under spec to accomodate wrapping the tip and leaving some glue space? Or is the assumption that you trim the tip a bit? Or do they oversize the spec to guarantee that a tip meeting the spec fits? Or is there significant variation in the manufacturing process?

Has anyone seen one over the spec size?

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:17AM

Dave, I'm not as experienced as most guys here, but even still I have seen blanks with tips both smaller and bigger than what's listed in the catalog. Evidently this is a natural result of the way blanks are manufactured (I asked the question a while ago, check out this thread: [www.rodbuilding.org]).

What someone suggested to me then, and has worked well since, is anytime you order a blank and top together, tell the vendor to match the top to the blank. Just about every vendor will do that for you, and it eliminated the headache of getting a shipment only to realize you need another tip.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:29AM

Blanks are not extruded, they are rolled, taped, trimmed, sanded and finished. What you see listed in the catalog is just a target spec. Few things with this amount of hand labor can hold to these sort of tolerances. You should fully expect any rod blank tip size to easily vary by 1/64th +/- from the target spec.

Rod blanks are not exactly precision instruments in the area of size specifications.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.propel.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:36AM

Thanks for all the replies. It was a catalog misprint. The print catalog lists the tip as a 12, but online as a 10, actual tip is a tight 9.5, further checking with some of the very knowledgable builders here suggests that the blank I have should be fine. (Aside: Another great hting about this board: what you see here may be just the tip of the iceberg. Lots of good info is exchanged via follow-up emails.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster