I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

the shape of snake guides
Posted by: Joost vandenBroek (---.adsl.versatel.nl)
Date: February 01, 2007 02:30PM

Hi everyone,
I'm still not sure what sort of guides I wan't to put on a new 3 weight fly rod.
I'm trying to find out why snake guides are shaped the way they are, as far as I know the common type is called the 'American pattern' with it's typical 'tear' shaped form hanging unter the rod blank, it is supposed to be better for shooting line. On the other hand there are guides with a complete round loop (the so called 'English pattern'), they have a more classic look and are better suited for traditional, softer rods. There even is a difference in left or right coiled. It is supposed to make a difference in how the rod behaves. They say..........

Now... Can anybody tell me why single foot guides also have the same round shape and why a round tiptop is used on some of the new Sage rods as well, why is that? Does it make a difference if a guide is round or is it all just the look?

Any info on this would be great.
Thanks for all the help, once again.

Joost.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the shape of snake guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2007 02:45PM

The line only contacts the guide at one point most of the time, so much of this "left or right" thing doesn't really matter.

As far as how they affect rod performance, that would have to do with weight, with the lightest having the least detrimental impact on rod performance.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 02:49PM

Most of the things I have read indicate the snake guides with a right to left twist are the "English" version and were the first version of snake guides. The left to right twist is the "American" version and came about sometime in the early 20th century. I know early greenheart, lancewood and bamboo rod builders on both sides of the pond used the English version into the early 1900s and then a switch was made in America to the American version. I have no idea why. Maybe just the cost involved. I looked through some of my books and can't find anything that explains the difference between the versions or why the change occurred.

If it were Northern and Southern hemispheres involved, we could probably make up a good explanation. As it is, I hope someone knows because now I'm curious.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 05:36PM

I have an older English bamboo rod with what you refer to as the English pattern guides, they hang on a "bridge". They are pretty much the most worthless kind of guides I have ever seen performance wise. And they are very small in diameter. I sure don't see them as a "better" choice for soft rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2007 05:38PM by Bill Moschler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster