I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing reel seats
Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 12:38PM

I have a rod that got broken that has a Weibe reel seat on it that I would like to remove and reuse. Previous attempts that I have made in removing real seats all resulted in a scratched or otherwise damaged real seat. I was hoping that someone out there had a good method for removing a reel seat in a way that would allow me to reuse it. The rod is 10'6" to piece if that is of any importance
Thanks for any help.

Re: Removing reel seats
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 27, 2007 12:50PM

Cut the reelseat out including the blank and than drill the blank out of the reelseat parts, If you have the Skeleton type, Angler's Workshop had the cork inserts in stock.

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 12:58PM

I would do this but the blank is still under warrenty and I am preaty sure this would void it. I am not concerned with saving the cork I know that this is a lost cause. I just want to save the Weibe part since I can't buy them any more

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 01:14PM

John,Try contacting the manufacturer and ask how to go about getting the seat off.They may allow you to remove by cutting or find a way to work with you .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 01:14PM

Hi John,
I mean this with no disrespect but sometimes in a case like this you might have to bite the bullet this time
Pat

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 01:23PM

John,

The Weibe seats are once again being made. The line has been prchased and has been reintroduced [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2007 01:41PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 01:38PM

That is great news. Do you know if they just sell the Wiebe part of the reel seat all I saw on their website was handle kits.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 01:42PM

Don't know, but just give Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle Supply a call or shoot him an e-mail and he can fill you in. Great guy and very helpful!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 27, 2007 03:44PM

Angler's Workshop has always had Wiebe skeleton parts.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 04:11PM

Call the company. I have sent a blank in and had them returned it so I could reclaim the components.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 07:42PM

Thanks for the help I manged to get the reel seat loose with a little heat and then a lot of help with a strap wrench. What a wonderfull invention
I will have to give anlglers workshop a call as they are the closest rodbuilding store to me.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 07:54PM

Gald you got it off. Placing the reel seat in boiling water for 15 minutes or so loosens the epoxy in most cases- even Rod Bond.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster